cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

On Sports channels picture freezes sound continues

While using a black Now TV box with a wired connection and a 200 Mbit connection I regularly get 2-3 second picture freezes while the sound continues unaffected. While watching football it happens every 10 minutes or so. It's not a huge issue but more irritating and it only occurs while watching sports. Has anyone had a similar problem that was fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Just an update to apologise for the issues you have experienced when trying to watch sport on NOW TV. 

Yesterday we pushed out an update that should now have resolved the issue across our Sports Channels. 

We continue to monitor these channels, if you still experience this issue please let us know.

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

668 REPLIES 668
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The variable bit rate back door setting on the nowtv box is press the Home x 5, 3 x RW then 2 x FF this will take you to a secret screen menu

I have a super fast internet connection and changing from auto to either 3.5 Mbps has no effect whatsoever.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

The variable bit rate back door setting on the nowtv box is press the Home x 5, 3 x RW then 2 x FF this will take you to a secret screen menu

I have a super fast internet connection and changing from auto to either 3.5 Mbps has no effect whatsoever.

Ah well, just an idea.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried that option and updated all software on the box.

Made no difference to the screen freezing issue. 

Just watched the first session on Day 1 of ENG v SA test match - pretty sure that I haven't seen the issue so far today.

So perhaps there is cause for cautious optimism that it's been fixed?

Will continue to monitor. Time will tell...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Positive news. I'll be watching the F1 this weekend, and just hope Now TV has got a handle on this issue once and for all.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately that variable bit rate setting doesn't make any difference to the NOW TV streams, it's a legacy feature for old services that provided a choice of different bitrate streams for different users. NOW TV uses adaptive bitrate management to automatically choose the best rate for your connection, and the secret screen setting has no effect on adaptive bitrate streams.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its for an LG TV - just tried this but still had picture freeze - my internet speed is 6-7 mpbs

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Swansea Man U is streaming freeze free on both Main Event and Premier League channels at the moment on my NOW TV box. It just shows that when they have to satisfy their main bread winning Premier League subscribers they can make things work. As for the Burton Birmingham match last night on the Football Channel it was the usual stutter vision. So come on NOW TV let us finally have freeze free streaming on ALL Sports channels.

stammie1609
Expert

I've been using Now TV via my Surface Pro today rather than my smart boxes,

I didn't notice any freezing during the Swansea-Man Utd game, but I wasn't really paying attention to it I just had it on so my old dad who I was visiting could watch some football,

unfotunately the freezing is still there on the cricket channel now I have the test match on.

stammie1609 wrote:unfotunately the freezing is still there on the cricket channel now I have the test match on.

same here! good old stutter-stuttervison...

to you (money), to me (st-st-st-stuttervision)