cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now Tv is Ageist

Apparently windows vista is not new enough to play Now TV.  Works for everything ###### else!

Now Tv demand IE11, which you can't get on Vista.

Firefox will not play now tv content on vista.

Live Chat jerks you off for hours and hours before subtly telling you when you ask "Could this infact be a problem with your stream and not my computer?" they respond  " I cannot deny that.". LMFAO

I'm off to try my luck with my windows XP PC, not remotely hopeful though.

There's got to be many in a similar position to I, disgraced by NowTvs ageism against 'solid' computers.

Rise up guys.

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi there, welcome to the forum 🙂

Well Windows Vista is old, and was pretty much rubbish, and you probably won't have any luck with Windows XP since that's been out of support since last year.

Have you definitely got Silverlight installed on your computer? Click here: http://flashbuilder.eu/silverlight-plugin-version.html to check if you have Silverlight installed.

Else, you can watch NOW TV on many other devices as listed here: http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

What I said above could still be true, but this information taken from the NOW TV website shows you should be able to watch it on your Vista PC:

Compatible devices

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Windows 8 app for PCs and tablets. (Smartphones not included)
Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Well G,

I personally agree with Ali about how both computer hardware and software are routinely discarded, not because they're no longer good or useful, but because the companies concerned (in particular Microsoft) can no longer make huge chunks of money out of maturing technology.

In fact the entire IT industry is totally based on churning technology, i.e. developing, selling, dumping, re-developing, re-sellingetc, etc, ad infinitum.

Again, I personally will not go along with this "churning" nonsense, I usually stick with what works for me and when buying new tech stuff I do some "due diligent" research to see if what I want will work with what I am currently using.

Unfortunately Ali, churning is an economic fact and is now the way of the world.

UK Bob

Legend 5
Legend 5

Ukbobboy the whole retail sector is based on that not just IT sector.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

@Anonymous User my Dad sometimes watches NOW TV on his old Windows XP computer (and he uses the Firefox browser) so NOW TV can definitely work on Win XP.

ukbobboy
Legend

@4268

You may be right about the whole retail sector being based on churning but it is most prevalent, and obvious, in the IT sector.

For example, you could say that the car industry is also based on churning but there is a thriving second hand market while no such thriving market exist for IT.  I know that there are some "industrially based computers and associated kit" can be bought second hand but on the whole if computer kit is no longer supported by it's manufacturer or a third party then that kit gets dumped.

Which to my mind, is a waste of usable resources and more pollution for our planet to deal with.

UK Bob

@Anonymous User wrote:
wel f**k me, the windows xp PC worked. After speaking with a knowledgable tech guy this time its a known problem with windows vista and silverlight & now tv are communicating with microsoft about it.

Well @Anonymous User I did confirm that NOW TV works on Win XP earlier in the thread but maybe you missed it...

@dr_necessitor wrote:

@Anonymous User my Dad sometimes watches NOW TV on his old Windows XP computer (and he uses the Firefox browser) so NOW TV can definitely work on Win XP.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/Now-Tv-is-Ageist/m-p/362501#M4252

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:
wel f**k me, the windows xp PC worked. After speaking with a knowledgable tech guy this time its a known problem with windows vista and silverlight & now tv are communicating with microsoft about it.

Well @Anonymous User I did confirm that NOW TV works on Win XP earlier in the thread but maybe you missed it...

@dr_necessitor wrote:

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/Now-Tv-is-Ageist/m-p/362501#M4252

@dr_necessitor now TV might still work with Windows XP, but I'm not entirely sure what nowTVs official stance is on Windows XP because bear in mind that Microsoft ended consumer support for Windows XP almost 2 years ago. Some streaming services have actually ended support for Windows Vista, although now TV still supports Windows Vista at the moment.

In fact, I've just checked it was two years ago yesterday that Microsoft ended consumer support for Windows XP

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/end-support-help

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Legend 5
Legend 5

Ukbobboy, I think the Now boxes with passes are a good example of waste. Mad that it is cheaper to buy a box with passes than pay monthly subscription.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.