cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV access refused on only 3 devices!

Last Sunday I was confused & extremely frustrated, if not angry when I a few minutes before the start of the 'Mexican Grand Prix,' on Sky Sports F1, my main TV screen in my sitting room failed! A message stating that I’d exceeded the number of 4 devices!Smiley Mad

This was NOT TRUE! As I only have three devices these are as follows my Main TV Screen My Laptop & my Cell-phone. Yet I was still refused access! In desperation after searching long & hard (under the duress of time pressure) minutes before the race was about to start I managed to find the ‘Chat Line’ window.

After explaining my dilemma the agent decided (in an act of kindness) to switch back on my Main TV screen just seconds before ‘Lights Out’ or race start. I don’t understand this rule & need someone to clarify. Having registered my 3 devices (as above) How many times am I allowed to switch any two out of three devices (at one time) before I get cut off again?Smiley Frustrated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Race Fan

I can't explain the ins and outs of the four device rule or will even try, as I am just a customer like yourself, but I will mention why you seem to hit the "four device rule" without doing anything.

You see, whenever one of your three devices receives an OS or software update the Now TV system sees that as a new device, and the only way to solve this recurring problem is the contact help chat.

I am a Now TV black box and Roku user and so do not suffer from this " software update" problem but I understand that all smart devices and computers do. 

UK Bob

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Race Fan

I can't explain the ins and outs of the four device rule or will even try, as I am just a customer like yourself, but I will mention why you seem to hit the "four device rule" without doing anything.

You see, whenever one of your three devices receives an OS or software update the Now TV system sees that as a new device, and the only way to solve this recurring problem is the contact help chat.

I am a Now TV black box and Roku user and so do not suffer from this " software update" problem but I understand that all smart devices and computers do. 

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Possibly but I have had this issue with a free device showing on the website.  iPad wasn't allowed as a new device despite a free slot showing.  Chat does rectify the issue, but it would be better if the four device limit was removed.  I can understand watching on no more than 2 devices at the same time, but given I have numerous devices this is a fairly archaic restriction.  Neither Amazon nor Netflix have this, so why should Now?  

That said better than Virgin Anywhere with its two device limit/one change per month and it considering updates as a device change.  Effectively there is no device change at all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I can understand watching on no more than 2 devices at the same time, but given I have numerous devices this is a fairly archaic restriction. 

Thats Sky for you, most of their policies look archaic and belong back in the 1980s.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

Possibly but I have had this issue with a free device showing on the website.  iPad wasn't allowed as a new device despite a free slot showing.  Chat does rectify the issue, but it would be better if the four device limit was removed.  I can understand watching on no more than 2 devices at the same time, but given I have numerous devices this is a fairly archaic restriction.  Neither Amazon nor Netflix have this, so why should Now?  

That said better than Virgin Anywhere with its two device limit/one change per month and it considering updates as a device change.  Effectively there is no device change at all.

Definitely better than the current Virgin Anywhere. It doesn't even work on 3/4G. Hopefully won't be too long before it does work on that. It's device choices are far more limited than on the other services. I suspect that it because at home they want you to pay for multi room.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

3 devices added
You can add 1 more device. After that, you'll need to wait until 1 December before you can swap 1 of your devices for a new one.

Simply watch NOW TV on a device to automatically add it to this list

But "Maximum Device Activity"  on Now TV Smart box when I try to watch.

All dealt with quickly via chat (within 5 minutes), but a bit of a pain when you want to watch something urgently

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you to all who've replied. I'm taking out another licence today & will see if this same problem re-occurs on my THREE DEVICES. Personally I can't see the need to maintain such restrictions!