cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Frame rate ormotion

Hi there, im sure its frame rate but NOW TV will you ever ever fix this, its obviously worse on football games but also happens on normal tv show. I watched spain italy tonight on SD through my youview box, terrible picture as expected but at least the frame rate was normal. NOW TV may not be 1080p but the picture is decent enough if you could please fix your frame rate issue as its so annoying. I have amazon prime, netflix, iplayer etc and only now tv has this awful issue, it cannot be that hard to fix. Just for info this is on your smart now tv box and all the others, its never been addressed.

21 REPLIES 21
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I watched spain italy tonight on SD through my youview box...

How did you do this @Anonymous User?

From what I understand the BT/Youview boxes only permit access to NOW TV's 'on-demand' movie service....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please read my last sentence.

Thanks

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

My apologies @Anonymous User.

I suspect your using a mobile device to write your forum posts. Hence the lack of paragraphs!

Anyway, as I've got a 'day pass' to view the Italian GP on my LG television, I've been flicking through all the sports channels. So far so good, as the supplied bitrate is consistant at 4865. The motion appears fine on pre-recorded content. But I haven't accessed any 'live' content yet...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tested 3 TVs In now my house with 2 diff boxes and my friend has tried at his house on 2 diff TVs. He's on 80mb and I'm on 52mb. If I'm being honest if your saying you can't see the diff from normal tv to now tv in regards to frame or motion then I honestly don't know what to say. Maybe you are not susceptible to it but it's there.  I have other family members and they are all the same. A lovely example is the info bar on sky sports, compare that to sat setup and if you cannot see the diff then wow.  I get the feeling no matter what you ain't going to agree. I spoke to someone who works in video editing and they can also see it. 

@Anonymous User wrote:

A lovely example is the info bar on sky sports, compare that to sat setup and if you cannot see the diff then wow.  I get the feeling no matter what you ain't going to agree. I spoke to someone who works in video editing and they can also see it. 

Actually I have noticed this but my OH doesn't. Some people see it, others don't. You see this type of conflict discussed and agreed/disagreed about on lots of boards discussing AV kit. Because the only person who replied so far doesn't see it, doesn't mean that the whole community will disagree with you, so don't be too hard on him/her! It was barely noticeable on our previous TV, but more so on our new TV. So I've tried to mitigate this effect by tweaking some of the more obscure (to most people) settings on the TV. Just my 2p worth of comment. No doubt others will chip in with different/other thoughts.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you and fair points. It's so obvious to my eyes and others, the people who don't see it are very lucky. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am in the same bracket as you, where the NowTV sports broadcasts of 25 fps looks unnatural to me (cinematic, where it looks more like watching a movie rather than a sports event, together with motion blur when the camera pans) Smiley Sad

I also find that a Plasma TV is more forgiving with 25fps sports broadcasts due to it's higher native motion resolution, compared to LCD / OLED TV's which only has around 300 lines of motion resolution with it's motion processing switched off.

Now TV / Sky need to take a leaf out of the way BT TV Sports and BBC IPlayer, where they transmit their sports streams at 50fps over the internet (the sports broadcast PQ is in a different league to NowTV over IPTV).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

I am in the same bracket as you, where the NowTV sports broadcasts of 25 fps looks unnatural to me (cinematic, where it looks more like watching a movie rather than a sports event, together with motion blur when the camera pans) Smiley Sad

Indeed... However motion blur is 'source' dependant. With a correctly captured 'progressive' source you should not see much in the way of motion blur.

As mentioned before on the forum. Where the problem arises is if the source has been captured as 'pure interlaced' (where each interlaced field contains unique information). If each 'pure interlaced' field is transcoded into a progressive frame then you wont see motion blur. However this method doubles the frame rate.

If Sky are dropping one of the 'pure interlaced' fields to keep everything at 25 fps then not only will half the image information be missing, it will also produce unnatural looking motion (but not necessarily blur).

Another thing to consider when viewing live captured events is that not all the cameras offer the same modes of capture. So it's possible for different cameras to produce very different looking images. And this is before they are tweaked with within the OB studio prior to broadcast!

Hopefully native 4K cameras should nail this on the head because they can only be configured to capture in progressive modes. But these kind of debates just goes to show how useful pure interlaced video is at capturing motion 😉

At the time of writing this I'm watching F1. The bitrate has held steady. There's been no drop-outs. And the motion is fine for a 720p25 source...

Miketurn
Scholar 3

The frame rate issue when watching live sports is quite evident, however I've managed to somewhat fix the issue on my tv by turning on motionflow to its highest setting. Other brands use different names like Intelligent Image Creation but they all essentially do the same thing by creating their own frames and making things seem smoother. I've found that gives me a satisfactory picture that I can watch, although it's still inferior to broadcast tv.

In comparison, I watched some of the US Open golf streamed live through iPlayer, and that was spot on and I couldn't tell the difference between that and an HD broadcast at normal viewing distances.