cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disappointed with delay

So have used the sports pass for first time today to be able to watch the Celtic game, whilst watching the game was surprised and shocked to get Twitter goal alerts and texts from mates, before actually seeing the goals on my TV!!

I thought the channels were live?

So switched over to the cricket and again found it was delayed!

From what I could work out there's about a 45 second delay, this is unacceptable for me with Twitter and WhatsApp groups and every other online alerts out there.

Unless I watch with my phone turned off lol

I have fast fibre broadband so I know it's not a problem at my end.

I know there's even a delay between bbc1 and bbc1 hd, but it's only about 2 seconds...that's ok but almost a minute...no, am just disappointed with this delay, as now I won't be using the sports again, pricing wise it is quite good value and I had no picture or sound issues, they were perfect.

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well 45 seconds is nothing. Today Newcastle v Chelsea is 10 minutes behind and as you can't pause it I can't understand how that happened 

10 minutes !!! Thats awful. I hope that doesn't happen tonight, it's one of my last Sky Sports matches ever as I won't buy any more passes due to the lack of red button but frankly I couldn't stand another 10 minutes of this "pre match build up", I can't stand it it's so dull. I can't even understand half of what they are mumbling about. It's actually a relief when the adverts come on.

Hopefully the black box won't keep rebooting again or have vertical pink lines, missing any more goals.

P.S. Why is this forum called "(Archived)" is it being abandoned by Now TV. They don't seem to help much?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well 45 seconds is nothing. Today Newcastle v Chelsea is 10 minutes behind and as you can't pause it I can't understand how that happened 

10 minutes !!! Thats awful. I hope that doesn't happen tonight, it's one of my last Sky Sports matches ever as I won't buy any more passes due to the lack of red button but frankly I couldn't stand another 10 minutes of this "pre match build up", I can't stand it it's so dull. I can't even understand half of what they are mumbling about. It's actually a relief when the adverts come on.

Hopefully the black box won't keep rebooting again or have vertical pink lines, missing any more goals.

P.S. Why is this forum called "(Archived)" is it being abandoned by Now TV. They don't seem to help much?

Pink lines already.Smiley Mad Match not even started yet (or has it!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well that is an early end of Now TV for me. Constant picture breakup and pink vertical lines every 2 minutes. Unwatchable. Not fit for purpose. 100mbps fibre broadband from Virgin Media. Speedtest gives me 120mbps, Black box connected via ethernet. No other devices connected to the router. Not workable. Certainly not a "Premium product" with "premium channels" at a premium price,

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was watching the WEST HAM v EVERTON match, I live opposite a pub they were cheering goals 2 mins before SKYSPORTS main event live showed them, it was really frustrating hearing the cheers then waits for the goal, 

if there is likely to be a delay ,variant on service or broadband, subscribers should be made aware so it’s not a bit puzzling as to why this happens, it’s now a case of me shutting the windows when watching live sport on SKY SPORTS , 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is absolutely rubbish excuse by now tv, watched cricket today on now tv mobile and yupp tv , both do ip transmission , yupp tv no delay but now tv sky sports 45 Sec delay which equates to 2 balls. Either you fix this or return our money,, pls don’t give lousy excuses ,,, change your servers, if others can do this shy can’t now tv.. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi S

You said, in reply to VC, "That's just not realistic in today's social media driven world though is it? Messaging with mates, gauging views on Twitter... it's a huge part of watching live sport these days".

Have you ever thought that what you are asking for is not technically possible t the moment, you are expecting streaming TV system to react just as fast as a broadcast over the air.  I guess you are not concerned with the mechanics of how broadcast and streaming systems work or differ but common sense should tell you that until the technology exist that will merge both systems there will always be a time difference between them.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's not actually the case. I used to also think it was just a brick-wall-type, technical limitation. But then when watching live streams on Bet365, I noticed that it doesn't seem to suffer from the dreaded delay.

In fact, when I had a Bet365 tennis live stream on my laptop, that was also on Eurosport on my TV, the online stream was actually ahead of the TV broadcast!

After a bit of digging I found this: https://netinsight.net/2017/05/03/betting-industry-aims-to-cut-stream-latency-below-2-seconds/

So basically, every second of delay on Bet365 is lost revenue, so they've put a lot of time and research into minimising it as much as possible, to the point where it is now basically non-existent. We can only hope that other live sport streaming providers can do the same in the near future.

A few seconds is fine, but when you have loads of messages about a goal going in 50/60 seconds before you actually see it go in on your "live" stream, it just ruins the whole experience.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hi again S

I see your point, it's obvious that the betting industry has invested heavily in bringing latency time down to the barest minimum, for obvious reasons. However, do you honestly expect Now TV, an industry aimed at the domestic market, to either buy in or invest in comparable technologies, which would cost millions?

I guess that now, in the 21st century, you can solve most technological problems if you are prepared to throw enough money at it but a judgement has to be made about ROI (return on investment).  And you know, I don't think Now TV would make their money back if they took a short term view and either bought in or developed similar low latency technology.

However, in the longer term, whatever that is, I believe such technology will be incorporated and prove to be useful but only when the cost becomes manageable, i.e. a very small impact on the bottom line.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought it was me going potty. When Newcastle played man city the other day my dad rang to ask what Gayle's goal was like. When I looked at the screen it was 0-0 and saw the goal go in a minute later? Any way round this via net connection, equipment etc?