cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bitrate is very poor.

Hello,

Now i have taken the 12 months blackfriday deal at £200 as it seems to be a good deal.

However i really dont know why Sky find it acceptable to totally mug us off with these poor streams.

Before i go on...

My internet speed and connection is fine and using ethernet.

Now i also pay for BTTV along with BT sports and the stream quality they offer is far far far far supierior to this rubbish, it is so good infact that it is similar to satillite quality. Now i say this because this proves that i cant be palmed off with the whole connection issue nonesense.

In 2017 will someone please explain to me using technical terms if you wish why you are supplying a sub par 720p stream witha diabolical bitrate that makes watching anything fast moving *cough* Formula 1 *cough* extremely hard to watch? It is totally unacceptable for a multi billion pound organisation like yourselves to offer such a poor quality stream surely? I mean surely it is a little bit embarrasing when illegal streams are streaming at 1080p at higher bitrates than your official streams? I dont agree with illegal streams what so ever but why are you holding back on quality? do you secretly want me to just spend double on a sky and broadband subscription? I dont get it, please explain. 

Kind Regards, Harris91.

21 REPLIES 21
Hooba
Scholar 3

Don't think you can get the Sky Sports channels without contracting for some of the other channels? I could be wrong, not looked at Sky for a few months.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Hooba wrote:

Don't think you can get the Sky Sports channels without contracting for some of the other channels? I could be wrong, not looked at Sky for a few months.

Yes, you need the base pack for £20/month.  And then one channel cost £18/month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

its sad but true, surely they cant offer 720p forever though... its already really dated especially as now we start to see other streaming services offering 4K. Well im stuck with them for 12 months now and for 16 quid a month or whatever it works out at i cant complain too much.. but i wish they had more pride in there own services.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

its sad but true, surely they cant offer 720p forever though... its already really dated especially as now we start to see other streaming services offering 4K. Well im stuck with them for 12 months now and for 16 quid a month or whatever it works out at i cant complain too much.. but i wish they had more pride in there own services.

They will offer full HD and 4K in the not too distant future, but probably only on catch up/on demand initially.  Live channels and sports are different as they have to compress the signal real time and it will always be compromised.   HD would take a bit longer and there will be more lag.

I was in France this summer and watched a lot of Premier League games on SFR sport.   The catch up (something Now should have) was perfect, the live transmission less so.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's all very well asking for higher bitrates and higher quality pictures, but this is fine only if you are lucky enough to have fast broadband.  At my address there is no fibre broadband, and no prospect of it until the year 2020 at the earliest.  The maximum downstream speed I can get with my ADSL2+ is 11 mbps, so an HD stream is problematic and 4K is out of the question.

Therefore I am very glad that the Now TV service uses a streaming rate that requires only 2.5 mbps broadband.  There must be others in the same position as myself.

Wlat

Anonymous User
Not applicable

BUMP

I want an official response im not going away.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s why it would use variable bit rates like any other streaming service ... the fact of the matter is bt sport don’t have this issue and offer streams in HD, 4K and SD if you have garbage internet.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was not aware that BT Sport offered any service except if you have BT Infinity, which requires fibre broadband.  (Unless, of course, you use the rather flakey BT Sport app).

The only viable alternative is to get it via the Sky satellite platform at an extortionate price, or via Virgin cable which is not available in my area.

Wlat

stammie1609
Expert

@Anonymous User wrote:

I was not aware that BT Sport offered any service except if you have BT Infinity, which requires fibre broadband.  (Unless, of course, you use the rather flakey BT Sport app).

The only viable alternative is to get it via the Sky satellite platform at an extortionate price, or via Virgin cable which is not available in my area.

Wlat

I don't find the BT Sport app flakey at all, in fact whether I use it at home on my HTPC via my VM broadband or on the go via my Windows tablet tethered to my 4G phone it works perfectly and provides a better picture than Sky Sports on Now TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dont live in an area with FIBER to house i am still on copper cable with FIBER to cabinet. 70 down.

And i can use my BT TV box to stream both 4k and 1080p in glorious quality... so there is no excuse.

ps.. if i couldnt handle HD or 4k i could still stream in SD as they offer this also.