cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenzhou7k
Mentor

why is my actual download speed so slow???

I ordered super fast fiber (guaranteed 70 Mbps) and have it installed today. I tested the broadband speed on the internet, and it is around 70 Mbps. However, when I try to download a game on Steam, the actual download speed is only around 8mb/s. My pc is the only device connected to the hub when I run the test, and Steam download speed won't lie. I checked my hub settings and found the modem downstream speed is only 76913 kbps. I don't know if it restricts my download speed. Can anyone please save me!!

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@kenzhou7k 
Is this on Wi-Fi or Ethernet? 

For Wi-Fi you can split the bands which should help the speed.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Since it’s just been installed today you’ll need to bare in mind your speed will fluctuate in the first 10 days.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
kenzhou7k
Mentor

its on ethernet

redchiz1
Champion 2

There are 8 bits to a byte, so when downloading a file at 8MB/s that is equivalent to a speed of around 64 Mbps. 

kenzhou7k
Mentor

im an idiot, sry T_T

redchiz1
Champion 2

No worries, you're not the first!  🙂

RoyB
Legend

@kenzhou7k @redchiz1 

I'm a bit lost here. 8 mbps is indeed low. But then you mentioned 76913 kbps, which is 76.913 Mbps, or better than what you were promised.

And while there are indeed 8 bits in a byte, a good rule of thumb is that you need to send 10 bits to transmit a byte, what with the communication overhead, so 76.913 Mbps would translate to about 7.6913 MBps.

So all sounds very good, and positively stonking on a day-old line that still hasn’t quite settled down 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.