cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davidontoast
Advocate

which router for dd-wrt

Hi there,

I've looked around a bit and can see you get your own router working with a bit of effort. I'd like to get something decent I can put dd-wrt on but also want to make sure I can connect to now etc

Are there any thoughts/reccomendations?

the dd-wrt fourm suggests:

Question is asked a lot. No AX/6/6E.

Netgear R9000 (rebrand is XR700)

Netgear R7800 (rebrand is XR500 and XR450)

Netgear R7500v2 (or Linksys EA8500)

Most recommended: R7800 or R9000.

Would these work with nowtv?

4 REPLIES 4
redchiz1
Champion 2

I doubt you will find many serious homebrew enthusiasts using NOW broadband, but if there are any then good luck! 

Jayach
Elite 3

DD-WRT doesn't support DSL/FTTC routers (AFAIK) and the Now router doesn't have a modem mode so getting one working means finding a separate modem.

I'm also not sure if dd-wrt supports option61/Sky_MER, so unless you are an expert with dd-wrt I would suggest using something like an ASUS or TP-Link modem/router that does support it.

Davidontoast
Advocate

Thanks for letting me know, I can look into option 61, on dd-wrt, it looks like there's been mixed successes online.

Could you recommend a supported ASUS or TP-Link modem/router?

Jayach
Elite 3

I'm not on Now, but just about all the current ASUS and TP- Link modem/routers do (as do many others) It all depends on how much you want to spend on the extra facilities.

Indeed, many of the older routers also support it as long as you have the latest firmware.

Good luck with whatever you choose, we will always try to help, if we can.