cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johric
Scholar

proxy server question

I have a NOW router at original default settings and always working well with all devices. I have just gone to some trouble to make a wired connection to enable the use of an Onkyo CR-N765 network receiver for playing internet radio. When connected this shows the NowTV HubTwo network settings but just shows a connection error for any website. The only thing that I can find in the instructions that might be wrong is "Depending on your network connection environment you need to configure the proxy server" and there is a space for a Proxy URL. I'm not sure what this is or if something should be entered – the attached computer etc works fine without it and is presumably secured with a firewall. Is there a setting that can be taken from the existing NOW router or can anyone please make another suggestion as to what I might need to do to pick up internet radio? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @johric 

Two things I would try it you haven't done it already.

Firstly go into your NOW online account and play around with the Broadband Buddy settings.

Second thing I would try is to into the NOW Hub Router webpage settings and disable IPV6.

johric
Scholar

Thanks schnapps, I just turned OFF Broadband Buddy altogether and allowed time for it to take effect then also unticked everything labelled IPV6 on Firewall Rules page. However I still get same message "Connection error. The server connection could not be established or was terminated early." Or on individual stations maybe "Cannot play".

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @johric 

Bit of a long shot because you mentioned hard wired, maybe has a quick test go into the NOW Router webpage settings and play around with the Ethernet Setting options.

Also if you have another Ethernet cable handy, try that instead.

See if there is any firmware updates available for the Onkyo and maybe try doing a Google search for the problem on the internet by typing in the Onkyo Model and description of the connection error.

You could also try unplugging the power to Router for around 30 minutes to see if it's something related to the Router IP address, but I would thought it would have cropped up on other devices using different Apps or websites.

Apart from that I am out of ideas.

johric
Scholar

Thanks...new ethernet wire, and router has been unplugged. Not much that can be changed through Ethernet Settings really? Powerline software showing throughput of 600Mbps. Not much on Google except links to manual which I feel I know off by heart now! 🙂 It also accepts changes to favourites made from Onkyo Web Setup. However, your reply did prompt me to try updating firmware which was downloaded quickly and completed (by ethernet) so at least machine is up to date and downloading OK. BUT still "cannot play". I think this has got to be something simple I am missing – if the device is accepting downloads why wouldn't it accept music, which is also just a download? But maybe it is an Onkyo problem rather than NowTV. So thanks again for trying and if you wake up in the night with a sudden inspiration please let me know! 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @johric 

Does the Onkyo internet radio have an App that runs over a phone or tablet or is it controlled via the supplied Onkyo remote controller ?

If it runs over an App then make sure it's up to date, perhaps a new fresh download if it's still available from your Mobile device Apps Store.

Should the App then communicate with the Onkyo Receiver via direct wifi then make sure they are both on the same wifi 2.4ghz or 5ghz Network from your NOW Router.

Also perhaps go into the Onkyo Network Settings and use the Google Public DNS servers (again use your internet search engine for instructions how this is done).

Hopefully other forum members will chip in here with further suggestions to try.

johric
Scholar

I just operate it with its own remote (although I believe it can use a connected smartphone as a remote) but it doesn't have any access or input for wi-fi. I'm not very confident about changing servers but I will look into this when I can thanks. I'm beginning to think that it's the unit's outdated software that just isn't up to playing any stations and nothing to do with NOW!