cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

no wifi signal in part of house - whats best solution please

Hi, just joined nowtv moving from talktalk. Nowtv router is clearly not up to the same task as talktalk router as not getting any signal in back part of an average sized 4 bed detached. Been researching what to do and it just seems like a minefield. Especially aftermarket routers with sky's protocol and getting access to usernames and passwords?!!  The extenders i've seen dont have great reviews and need a good signal in the first place to work properly, replacement routers - seem expensive and not sure if they would work - mesh seems like an option but no good for outside signal too. I've tried talk talk router and doesn't work as obviously not compatible with sky protocol. can anyone advise a cheap and effective solution?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Simplest way is use a WIFI extender socket. This basically uses the wiring in your house as a cable network.

If your up to doing electrical 
https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/sockets/cat4540002?electricalsocketproducttype=plug&w...

If not https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/207299465-Homeplug-and-Powerline-wi-fi-extenders

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You could try changing the channel settings on the router.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Connect your Hub Two to your laptop or computer using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  3. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  4. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  5. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  6. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  7. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  8. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  9. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi there,

Thanks for trying to help but this is not my problem. Seed is ok if you are
close to the router. The router's signal strength is rubbish and doesn't
cover the whole house. I'm looking for a
cheapish way to improve wifi signal not speed.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The changes will also aid towards the signal strength. 

5Ghz is far more reliable than 2.4Ghz. 

Have you tried to perform a factory reset to the router?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  ( @gavs82008  &  @Anonymous User  for Info)

Hi Marc

I had a similar problem sometime back, my wi-fi signal could not reach an upstairs back bedroom.

So, I decided to buy the following wi-fi booster:

TP-Link TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Range Extender.jpg

You can find this and many other brands of wi-fi boosters at the following URL:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=wi-fi+booster+uk&crid=1V7PZ8V7LMEG8&sprefix=wi-fi%2Caps%2C242&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_5

Hope this helps

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Bob, thanks - which one was it you bought as i couldnt see that?
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Marc

I bought the following wi-fi booster:

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender

However, although this device worked for me, there is no guarantee it will suit your requirements.  From what you have posted, I feel you will need a more "personalised"  advice specifically tailored to your requirements, plus help in setting up the device you eventually choose.

I'm guesings here, but I think you will find it more helpful if you could directly speak to someone that works in Information Technology (works with computers) to help and advise you in choosing and setting up the wi-fi booster most suitable for your situation.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
thank you - will look into this.
Geluk
Expert 2

Why not try configuring your old TT router to SKY settings, assuming it's not locked to TT settings?