Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lydia1
Mentor

new tv cant download now app ....help

hi i have just purchased a hisense tv model no-

50AE7000FTUK

however i cant down load the now app on to the tv in my bedroom. i currently have a smart stick in my loving room. 

how can i watch now tv in my bedroom or will i will have to purchase a stick? thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

That model does not appear to be supported directly by NOW, so you will need a separate smart device as you have with your other TV. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Interesting. That’s the latest Stick, which supports Dolby Vision,RRP £49.99, at the bargain price you quote.

The + is now £44.99, but Amazon doesn’t seem to have got the memo. Curry’s did, and were running out stock at £30.00, but that offer is gone now.

You can compare all 4 players here:-

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/players

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB I did. 🙂

The base model with no 4K seems a tad lacking and not to be recommended.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

My sentiments exactly. Maybe that’s why Roku recommend giving it as a gift, an anyone buying for themselves would pony up the extra £10 for one of the 4K versions.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Wouldnt it be great if you could just buy a Dumb Tv with it being upto the end user to get a "smart"  device to plug into it, then instead of getting upset that an app has vanished form their once expensive TV they could just get an updated streaming/smart device such as a roku .

The sad thing is i know of a few people who have replaced an entire TV at a significant cost as the smart functions have slowly stopped working or have become laggy

redchiz1
Champion 2

Ah @chilli2 those were my sentiments exactly not so many years ago! Which is when I first discovered the joys of Chromecast - not so much now - and the original Roku. Smart TVs have overall caught up with the times, but apps still vary from device to device, governed by market penetration and the cooperation of TV makers and content suppliers. There are still gaps, the "one device for all" still seems like Nirvana i.e. unachievable for earthly mortals like us. 

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

John Lewis used to have a disclaimer that the apps on a smart TV might stop at any time, and so weren’t covered by its 5 year guarantees. That wouldn’t play at all well today, and I think it’s reasonable that any app provider still in business should support any app they provide for five years from the date of purchase of the TV, or the date it was replaced by a later model, whichever is the earlier.

But even Sticks die; I have a Gen 1 Firestick that is now really too slow for general use, though it has been doing sterling service keeping a 2012 Samsung TV smart when its native apps died years ago.

OTOH, £30 for a new Stick gets that TV as smart as new again (smarter, actually).

chilli2
Elite

The disclaimer is still present:

A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App's availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer's warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs.

The problem is that some people will get a new TV and bin/take the old one to the dump once its "smart" functions stop working / apps vanish, or it becomes sluggish.

While streaming sticks and boxes do, eventualy get slower as apps change, and dissapear for £40-£50 you can get a decent updated streaming device to make the TV smart again , and keep a perfectly good TV going for quite a good few years to come.

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

The 2021 Sony Android TVs were launched without the ‘big four’ terrestrial players, with Sony initially saying they were ‘coming soon’, and then as the months dragged on, ‘coming before the end of the year’. During which a steady stream of customer complaints came in, Sticks were advised, with some retailers supplying them free, but sets were nevertheless being sent back by those who wanted, needed, or simply expected, the seamless experience of the players natively on the TV, notably the deep linking from the backward EPG.

The trickle was threatening to turn into a rush on Jan 1 2022, but Sony came good in the nick of time, on Dec 21 2021.

But I would have liked to have seen John Lewis trying to wave that placard at its 2021 Sony TV returners on Jan 1, if Sony hadn’t come good….. 😛

lydia1
Mentor

“Living room”