cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

home networks forbidden

Hi,

I'm being told by NOW that I'm in breach of their conditions because I have a home network and they didn't supply it, so I can't use it!!

Does anyone know what one is allowed to connect?

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Do you mean a third party Router ?

If so, NOW will not give you any technical assistance unless you plug back in the NOW Hub Router when they are checking for faults on your internet line.

There are quite a few forum members who use a third party Router with NOW Broadband, but some of these Routers are difficult to setup or will not work on the NOW Broadband service.

Very unlikely NOW will stop you using a third party Router on their service if you can get it setup successfully, just don't expect any technical help or assistance from NOW where you should be using their hardware.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No it's a switch.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Do you mean a Nintendo Switch or something like a Ethernet hub switch or something else ?

The more information you can provide the better.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry maybe in my extreme frustration I'm not being clear.

I've attached an ethernet cable from the now hub2 router into a network switch.

I'm told that's "using equipment not supplied by NOW to access broadband"

In other words wifi is supported but not a home wired network (of more than 2 devices)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you mean something like an external unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch with something like 5 or 8 ports, then i am using a Trendnet 8 port Ethernet switch with no problems on my NOW Hub 2 Router.

This is the newer version that i have and it was literally plug & play

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C2H0YUA/ref=twister_B07CM8Z2VS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

Maybe post some more details about the Network switch with the make and model number, where perhaps somebody on the forum can help.

Where i am not certain what type of network switch you are talking about.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to be a pain, the question is what am I allowed to connect.

According to Now it doesn't matter what make or model it is.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you even tried plugging in this network switch that you own or not, irrespective of what NOW are telling you ?

Where there quite a few customers on this forum that either use third party Routers, external Ethernet hub switches, wifi boosters or Ethernet home plugs etc from third party manufacturers and if we are breaking the NOW terms and conditions then it will be interesting how NOW will enforce it.

What i am trying to still figure out what network switch you are using and if you have tried it or haven't you purchased the Network switch yet before getting the blessing from NOW.

NOW will never confirm if a third party hardware connected to their Router would be acceptable or not.

They will only help if you are using their hardware and the only hardware they provide is the NOW Hub Router and don't even offer their own wifi boosters and usually say purchase a third party wifi booster or wifi extender from elsewhere, but will not specify any make or models.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps ,

Thanks for taking an interest. I was extremely annoyed and was interested if anyone in the forums had faced similar issues with Now and what they've been told.

I've been using a netgear gigabit ProSafe GS105 for some time. I'm also using an external wi-fi mesh and sonos which means the clients and zone players show up on the ethernet connected list. NOW support did confirm external WiFi is allowed which is at least progress.

However, if adding a network switch means they won't support you then I'm going to have to change providers.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Not familiar with any of those products, but just did a Google search about the Netgear ProSafe GS105 Ethernet Switch and it should work (especially if it a unmanaged type switch).

If the Netgear Ethernet Switch is "Managed" type then this is more involved to setup.

Also a few forum members have used different manufacturers wifi mesh systems with their NOW Hub Router (maybe try the Community search box for any information that can help with the mesh setup).

Anyway hope you find a way to configure these devices with the NOW Hub Router.