cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wakefield_WF3
Observer

existing router/hub

Hey !
how do I activate an existing NOW TV wireless hub ?
the hub is powered up, phone line connected and my devices : PC and ifone can see the

connection and the password is accepted.

I dont want a new router, just want to give NOW my CC details.

17 REPLIES 17
RoyB
Legend

@wakefield_WF3 

See, you’re wrong there.

Sure you can connect, locally, to the router, which is plugged into a BT Master Socket that might well be working, and there is a very good chance that this is still connect by existing copper cabling to the local cabinet, though this isn’t guaranteed.

But there it will most certainly stop, with your two wires dangling, or at best connected to the In side of a frame there. But nothing will be connected on the Out side to carry your signal to and from Now over the Openreach network. 

Nods, winks, and the provision of a certain amount of activity by Now and by Openreach, will be needed to get you connected again from the cabinet, and the timescale for this, rather than for the delivery of a second router or not, is what will determine how long it will be before you can be hooked up again and ready to go 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@wakefield_WF3 

As an FYI you’re not dealing with staff on here, in fact you never will when it comes to broadband. See this link for the purpose of the forum.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

Have you tried calling the broadband team? If not call them after 8am tomorrow, see the link for the number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite 2

You can but try and ask, however i would suggest that you have a shop around to see what esle is available - you could also be in what openreach call a stop sell area, stop sell areas are increasing and if you are in one of these areas you can only get full fibre.

As for the landline phone, my advice would be to have one ready to go just in case.

in my area we had a spate of powercuts that also took out the mobile phoone networks after abut 15 minutes - phone masts also affected by powercut and only have a small battery back up , so ive got a battery back up on my router that runs for at least 7 hours, and a corded phone - the odd thing is that during a powercut i need to use the contacts app on my mobile to dial the number out form the corded phone.

As for the new router/new provide thing most if not all ISPs will follow the same procedure - as said you can but try and ask

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

What you are describing there, being only able to have fibre if you can get fibre, is called FTTP Priority.

It is not the same as Stop Sell, which is now universal.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

There are actually 2 stop sells.

There is the WLR stop sell, which is now, as you say, universal. (i.e closedown of new Openreach PSTN connections)

Then there are copper stop sells (which I believe @chilli2 was referring to) which are being phased in as areas reach a certain full fibre percentage.

https://wholesale.talktalk.co.uk/resources/news-insights/blog/openreach-stopsell-update

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I can’t find any Openreach reference to Copper Stop Sell beyond 2021; it was just too confusing to keep using that terminology.

What we have now is:-

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates

All premises in the UK will be subject to one of the following rule sets:

1.       WLR UK Stop Sell

2.       FTTP Priority Exchange Stop Sell

So yes, there are two stop sells; and one or the other is in force everywhere, as I said.

But the second stop sell there isn’t called Copper Stop Sell, as TalkTalk claim. It’s called FTTP Priority Exchange Stop Sell.

Because even in one of those areas, where the FTTP coverage must be 75% or greater, there can still be up to 25% of premises where FTTP can’t yet reach. And for those, copper to the cabinet is unavoidable.

Which is why nobody talks about Copper Stop Sell any more, except as a goal still some considerable way off in the future.

wakefield_WF3
Observer

time to move on from NOW.

Even with todays non-existence of customer service, a nod and a wink are not business strategies.

i'll bundle in broadband with my Vodafone connection.

RoyB
Legend

@wakefield_WF3 

The nods and winks were mere poetic licence 😛