cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

conections

Hello, i hope someone can help me. I have talk talk internet hub it is conected into the vpn socket in the wall. It is also conected into a smart blu ray player which in turn is conected into my Yamaha DTS/ ATMOS 7.1  reciever. I do not have a smart tv. What i want to know is if i plug a firestick into my Yamaha receiver will it provide at least 5.1 sound ? My receiver is conected to my tv with a hdmi cable. I hope this makes sense. Can anyone help ?

Thank You. [email removed]

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you say a VPN socket i am assuming you mean a BT Socket connected to your TalkTalk Router ?

I have a similar setup, where my Fire Stick / Roku Stick is plugged directly into my Pioneer AV Receiver for 5.1 duties and a HDMI out to my Projector for the picture side of things.

Apart from the relevant NOW Membership ie Cinema, Entertainment for example you will need to pay the additional £5 for the NOW Boost Membership to get 1080p HD, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound and three simultaneous streams.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, thank you for your help. I thought this was the case but I just wanted to check. What is the cheapest stick to buy. I have 68mbs on WiFi downloads. Once again thank you.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

My personal recommendation is the Amazon fire stick.

There is a current spat between Roku and Amazon. So shockingly the Prime app might not be on Roku devices much longer.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Black Friday is around the corner at the end of the month, so you may save another fiver or tenner on a streaming Stick if you can wait a little while longer.

Tend to agree with @gavs82008 at the moment and would go with a Amazon Fire Stick.

I have a Amazon 4K Fire Stick no problems with NOW apart from micro judder when watching Sky Sports (only me and one other person has either noticed it or it doesn't effect or bother other owners when watching Sky Sports).

NOW Cinema and Entertainment runs perfectly fine for me on my Fire Stick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for your reply, possibly a stupid question, but to you need to be on amazon prime for the amazon stick to work?
Thank you in advance.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

It's been a few years since i setup both my Fire Stick and Roku Players and to use both you used to need to create a free sign up account.

When i created my both accounts a few years back you had to give them your bank details has well (don't know if this has changed since maybe Google it).

You don't have to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video to use NOW on their Fire Sticks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I pulled this quickly off the internet.

It's an American internet article, but guess it would be similar for UK Fire Stick owners.

https://www.techjunkie.com/how-to-use-an-amazon-fire-tv-stick-without-registration-of-amazon-account/ 

Your best bet would be doing your own Google search yourself to look into it more.

Off the top of my head i am not aware of any Streaming Stick that you don't need to give some sort of personal details (might be wrong).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

On my previous post i meant bank card details.

I might be wrong, but i still believe you need to do this if you haven't already got an Amazon account, but i am sure i read somewhere recently that Roku don't ask for this information anymore (Google might be your best option for the up to date answers).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like Amazon have already dropped the prices for their Fire Stick leading up to Black Friday.

Where there are some cracking deals on Argos, Currys and Amazon websites.