cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katelhh
Advocate

broadband down for 10 days so far, no compensation

my broadband crashed last Tuesday (8 days ago).  I was told different lengths of time that it would be looked at when I called (no-one contacted me) and I have now been told by some manager that it will be 10 days before an engineer even looks at it.  The communication has been appalling and no-one has mentioned what compensation might be available for the HUGE inconvenience (i work from home). 

Does anyone know if a) there is anything I can do to speed this process up

b) what compensation is available

c) if they have a responsibility to provide alternative wifi (ie tho0ught a dongle etc) 

thank you

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Katelhh 

WFH has exposed the fault lines in trying to use domestic broadband for this. It mostly works OK, but when it doesn’t, you are stranded 😢

a) No, beyond making sure Now are aware this issue is ongoing with you.

b) https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

c) No.

I have BT, and if my broadband goes down, they will fail me over to a cellular modem within three minutes. They supplied me with this device, not much bigger than a credit card, as part of their service, and I keep it charged and ready, though I have never had to use it yet.

Some other suppliers do the same, but none down around Now Broadband prices.

I have seen calculations where, providing you have the right mobile phone tariff, you can continue to use the internet over a WiFi hotspot on your phone, and this works out as costing less than the daily compensation you will get under b) above, so you might want to consider that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Just to add, NOW have their own help page regarding compensation here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation