Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

alternative routers

Hello

After just joining Now broadband

and having found a old sky q hub and plusnet router and was hoping get some help here in using one of these instead of the supplied hub 2 from now broadband

Im a complete newbie to all this so if anyone here has time or could help out it would be great

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The old Sky Router should work on the NOW Broadband service.

if it's the Sky Q Hub model ER115 then it is a clone of the NOW Hub 2 Router and i doubt you will see any difference in performance.

Even if you have a old Sky Router, NOW will still send you their Hub 2 Router.

You can use the Sky Router if you wish (not sure if Broadband Buddy will work with it on your account), but should you need to get in touch with the NOW Broadband Team due to any internet issues then make sure you plug in the NOW Hub Router before hand.

You may also have to temporary plug in the NOW Hub 2 for your online account Orders & Appointments section to change the status showing live activation on your scheduled activation date with NOW.

My understanding the TalkTalk Router will not run on the NOW Broadband service (unless you use the TalkTalk Router has a wifi access point in conjunction with the NOW Hub 2).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for the info schnapps 

having looked at the hub 2 settings 

under ethernet set up

can you explain the settings between FAST ethernet and gigabit...as i am assuming the gigabit is the faster

and what is the energy efficient Ethernet setting ?? it is disabled by default but what if i enabled that ?...what difference would that do ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Gigabit Ethernet would be faster if the device connected to the NOW Hub 2 Router is Gigabit compatible.

If for example your Laptop or Ethernet device is encountering connection issues over Ethernet, try Fast Ethernet instead on the NOW Hub Router.

I leave my NOW Hub Router on Gigabit and none of my internet Ethernet devices have problems running it.

I also left the energy Ethernet efficiency off has default.

I have no idea what it does apart from maybe runs the Router in a more energy efficient manner such has less power and heat output from the Router.

The help section on the Router from the screen shot below doesn't tell you much about energy efficient Ethernet.

Screenshot_2021-10-24-17-49-34.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello schnapps

I was thinking same thing about energy efficient ethernet

and wondered what if anything it reduces or disables if enabled ...i guess the only way is to give it a go and see what if anything happens

having just had a replacement router sent by now as the last one was emitting a annoying high pitch whine and got extremely hot which is why started this thread asking about alternative routers i have laying around

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No harm having a play around with the Energy Efficient Ethernet, but my guess performance will be worse in some way.

You could always send the NOW Broadband Team an email and ask them the question what is the difference.

Or maybe Google Sky Router Energy Efficient Ethernet settings where somebody on the Sky Community Forum has asked the question before and somebody more knowledgeable than myself knows the full answer.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

Ethernet, specified on its own, can be as low as 10Mbps.

Fast Ethernet is a minimum of 100Mbps (and not usually much higher)

Gigabit Ethernet is a minimum of 1000Mbps. This needs your wiring to be Cat 6 or greater, and any switches or bridges connected in your intranet to likewise be Gigabit-capable, or they may pull the whole intranet down to 100Mbps.

I had to replace my Fast Ethernet switch with a Gigabit one when I got my 500Mbps fibre connection from BT; and I also found that some of my existing cables, even Cat6 ones, would no longer pass better than 100Mbps (by putting them between router and switch, when the switch port lights up green or amber depending on what the cable will pass). Apparently, this can happen if you pull them into too tight a radius, or even just if you stand on them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.