cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes you can use your own router - if it has option 61 and MPoA

All you need to use your own router on NowTV broadband is a Fibre Router that has option 61.

You do not need any username or password!!

Just log in to nowtv router and get the Broadband MAC address. (not the LAN mac address).

It is somewhere in status or info - scroll through the menus to find it, and write it down.

It will be 12 letters or number separated by colons. xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

You need a router that supports "option 61" Draytek routers e.g. 2760n

turn off the nowtv, hardwire yourself to the new router. gain access to the admin.

Go to WAN - > internet access select WAN1 details page  - go to the PPPoE and disable PPPoE go to the  MPoA tab and enable MPoA, and make sure optain DHCP address is enabled.

Go back to WAN - > Internet access and click the box - DHCP Client Options button

Click Wan1, enter 61 in option number, and in the data box enter this

your mac address from above and @skydsl and a pipe | and then make up an 8 digit password.

so you enter xxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl|********

replace xs with the BB mac address and the *s with any password.

make sure you have already set up your wireless lan settings and password and admin access etc.

turn off the nowtv router and disconnect and plug in the draytek and swich on.

All working fine.

For other draytek routers there is a help file in the draytek support site.

probably works similar with other "good" routers that support MPoA and option 61.

It's a doddle!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I followed your instructions and they have worked but the speeds I'm getting are really slow, around 2Mbps Dl down from 37 with the stock router.  Any ideas what i might've done wrong?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wish I found this article 5 frustrating hours of trying a go! many thanks for posting, all sorted now thanks to your easy to follow instructions 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have got the Draytek 2860N router and followed the instructions but am not picking up an IP address.

Does anyone know if there are any additional steps with that device.

Thanks

DT

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hire a good lawyer 🙂

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Looking for some help - I am using OpenWrt on an old BT Home Hub 5A using version 10.06.1.

I need some help trying to connect my router to NOW Tv BB as I have having lots of issue with their router with the BB freezing and no internet. Even at 6am in the morning.

I have followed the instructions on this post, however I cannot find where to enter (61).  I have a attached a screenshot to help.

I have placed the information into the correct fields, why is it I still cannot connect. 

Screenshot = https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qAmau3KniJAQfBYLq6p1836G_TpTI6gX/view?usp=sharing

Cheers in advance 

Coops

From Post

Go back to WAN - > Internet access and click the box - DHCP Client Options button

Click Wan1, enter 61 in option number, and in the data box enter this

your mac address from above and @skydsl and a pipe | and then make up an 8 digit password.

so you enter xxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl|********

replace xs with the BB mac address and the *s with any password.

afle
Advocate

Really wanted to reply as I went through some headaches and might be able to save someone else one!

Vlan - 101

priority - 0 (linked to VLAN)

Option 61 Client ID - broadbandmacaddress@skydsl|password

Example c3:b0:6e:2e:44:82@skydsl|12345678

Mac spoofing - broadbandmacaddress

chilli2
Elite

@RoyB 

Terms and Conitions, 3.8 state this:

"3.8 If you wish to use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access
the NOW Broadband and Calls services it is your responsibility to ensure it is compatible with the NOW
Broadband Network and we cannot guarantee that NOW Broadband and Calls services will work with
this equipment
"

http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/now-broadband-contract-dec-21.pdf

I used the picture on the tp llink forum to set my router up, no mac cloning etc required

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802?page=2

Jayach
Elite 3

Yes  the T&C's have changed since @RoyB wrote that, and some manufacturers are now adding Sky_ MER as an option. It's called change, and sometimes it's for the better.