cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Xbox game updates around 500kbps

Anyone know why my xbox is downloading games at around 500kbps? It is on a wired connection. I have done all the steps with xbox support to no avail and the final thing they say is the ISP slowing down the connection. For a 13GB update, this will take forever. I paid for the faster broadband specifically for use with my xbox, playing online, downloading games etc. 

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you go to My Account > Technical Checks whilst logged in on here what sort of incoming download speed is measured at your NowTV Router ?

I don't own a Xbox so i won't be much help here.

If the down speed looks good then you may need to delve into both the NowTV Broadband security software, Hub Router and Xbox settings in more detail.

What i would try first, is go to My Account > Settings & Pins and temporary set the Broadband Buddy setting to an age rating of 18.

Also it might be worth going into the NowTV Hub Router and disable the IPV 6 feature and if the Xbox has IPV 6 in its Network settings then also disable it at the Xbox at the same time.

Go into the Hub Router webpage settings by typing 192.168.0.1 in your URL address bar on your internet browser, then select the Advanced Tab, then when prompted type admin & nowtv, then select the secondary LAN IP Setup tab, then untick the box saying Enable IPV6 on Lan Side, then click the green Apply Button at the bottom of the page.

Might be worth a try and if it makes no difference whatsoever, then go back into the NowTV Hub Router again and enable IPV6 back to it's previous setting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

On the technical checks page, It says it cant check my service at the moment.

What are ipv6 settings?

Is there a chance this could be a problem with the games servers? The game updating at 500kbps is Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Strangely though when I paused that installation and tried to update Gears of War 5, It was still only doing it at around 4mbps, far slower than it should and Gears of War isn't as popular as COD.

I ended up uninstalling COD fully, and starting the whole game download (not just the update) again. Now the game is downloading at 30mbps (great) but I wonder what speed it will drop to when it starts to do the updates straight after.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If one particular game is downloading much faster than another particular game.

Then it could something like the Xbox servers are the cause or you have an intermittent drop of your internet download speeds (pure guess on my part).

Don't know why you can't get a download speed test under My Account > Technical Checks (maybe try with a different internet browser).

If you have a laptop that supports Lan, then you could hook up to the NowTV Router to do a speed test.

Or if you are going to do a speed test over wifi (which is normally less accurate) then do the test on a mobile device in the same room where your Router is located and switch off any other internet devices in the home.