cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Works fine briefly... then completely stops working... then works fine...

Whenever I attempt to use my NOWTV it takes ages for the remote to start working.

Then all of a sudden it starts working fine... for 30 seconds/ aminute... then it suddenly stops working again and I have to mash the buttons for minutes until it starts working again.

I finally got a film on... which then refused to pause/fast fwd/switch off etc. It's utterly unusable.

I have the black stick with grey buttons.

* It has brand new batteries in it.

* the green light near the batteries flashes when pressed.

* it's right near a wi-fi booster.

* youtube works 100% perfect on my samsung TV - so the signal strength is good.

* laptop internet works 100% fine in room - so signal strength good

* the now stick/remote hasn't been damaged.

* other now sticks around the house (with the yellow buttons) work 100% fine.

* it's just this one room.

* when I press the volume and power buttons on the now remote they work fine.

* whenever i press any button for that matter, the little red light on my samsung TV flashes, so clearly the remote is working.

Any ideas? Could something be interfering? Have I just got a sketchy NOWTV stick?

I am at a complete loss.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NOW smart voice remote works over wifi with the NOW Stick, where it sounds like the Stick is having trouble with the remote because of the remote wifi is struggling to reach the Stick.

What happens if you swap the Stick and remote with another television in your home, does the same television have the issue or the issue follows the Stick & remote ?

if the same problem is happening to the same television and not the same Stick & remote then maybe try a different HDMi port on your television (side port might work better than rear port if your television has one) possibly try a HDMI flylead extender cable with the Stick to move the Stick away from the back of the television casing to improve wifi reception between the remote & Stick.

Test the Stick with the supplied mains power adapter or USB port if you television supports USB 5VDC 900MA or 1A.

if your Router is dual band then try the Stick on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz wifi bands.

Otherwise use the Roku Remote App on a smartphone to operate the Stick or look at something like an Amazon Fire TV Stick that i believe the remote runs off Bluetooth.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you haven't tried it already you could see if a full factory reset on the Stick will fix it by holding in the Stick reset button for about 15 seconds whilst the Stick is powered on, but if there is a poor wifi communication problem between the Stick & Remote then it will keep reoccurring.

The reason why the NOW smart remote volume & standby buttons work on the remote is because these two buttons operate over infra red with your inbuilt television iR receiver, where all the other buttons on the NOW Smart Remote operates on wifi hence the reason why these other buttons are causing you problems.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps - I've done the factory reset already, but that hasn't fixed.

I think, as you say, there seems to be a problem with the wi-fi signal between the stick and the remote.

Re. infared - that would explain why the vol/power buttons work with no problems but the other buttons don't.

Will try it on another TV later and see what happens. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @schnapps thanks for your quick reply. 

I've tried different HDMI slots in the back of the TV and that hasn't done anything.

Will try the Now stick/remote on the kitchen TV tonight when I get home

Just downloaded the Roku Remote app so can try that too if all else fails.

Re. if your Router is dual band then try the Stick on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz wifi bands.

-- I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Is that in the Now stick Options/Settings?

One thought is I have a set of USB powered LED coloured lights running up the side of the TV with a small power box stuck to the back. I wonder if that could *somehow* be causing an interference?

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The LED lights may be a possibility, try the Stick with LED power adapter unplugged.

If your Router is dual band and has an option to split the WiFi bands then when you go into the Stick Settings under Network, Set Wifi Connection  it should show two different Network names from your Router.

If it does try both wifi networks, start with 2.4ghz then test on 5ghz to see if there is any improvement.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Will give it all a go and report back - thanks for your advice, this has been driving me nuts for ages. 😀

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oops, apologies for not replying sooner @schnapps

The LED lights weren't causing an issue. The stick worked fine downstairs. The problem appears to be with the intermittent signal with my WiFi booster.

I've grabbed the Roku app on my phone and that is much more reliable than the remote.

Thanks again for your help!