cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will this work?

Seeing as we can't use the NOW router in 'modem' mode, will this work? I want to get a FRITZ!Box 7530 and use it as 'slave' unit; mainly for the VoIP capability for now but should also be able to use the extra LAN ports; rght?

FRITZ!Box 7530 LAN Settings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

The option you should be using is the first one, but whether you can get it authenticate with Now which uses an unusual method known as Sky_MER or option 61, I can't say.

Option 3 used with the Now modem will result in double NAT, and I believe VoIP has problems with that. (unless you are suggesting using it in AP mode)

I have to say I've never used a FRITZ!Box, maybe some of the other posters will have more advice.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jayach
Elite 3

The option you should be using is the first one, but whether you can get it authenticate with Now which uses an unusual method known as Sky_MER or option 61, I can't say.

Option 3 used with the Now modem will result in double NAT, and I believe VoIP has problems with that. (unless you are suggesting using it in AP mode)

I have to say I've never used a FRITZ!Box, maybe some of the other posters will have more advice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That was just a screen-shot from a review of the unit. I don't have one yet. Thanks for the comments though. Will bear them in mind.

I will use  it in whichever mode I can get it working in!

That said, I assumed the third option would be the one because surely the first option is only for if Fritzbox is going to be the 'master' unit; ie connected directly to the wall socket? Option 2 is for use when used as a router with a separate modem.

So option 3 makes the most sense; to me, at least. But then I'm not an expert or I wouldn't be asking the question 😁

I could get one and try it. They're really cheap on ebay!

Jayach
Elite 3

To be entirely sure what option 3 is doing one would need to read the further actions.

If it is still being used as a router, it will be double NATing which means it will have its own network. In this case it difficult to have a server running on that network, most other things will work fine.

It is used as an access point, it will just become a device on the Now network. In this case all the router functions will be turned off, but yes, the switch and probably the VoIP adapter will function.

NAT - Network Address Translation, the means by which a single internet I.P. address can be shared between many local devices.

If you do get one, let us know how you get on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just checked the user manual and I think (hope!) it will work via one of these options:

redchiz1
Champion 2

If the Fritzbox has a built-in VDSL modem then you should be able to configure it as a replacement for your NOW Hub, rather than trying to link the two together.  

Jayach
Elite 3

Option 69 is probably the one you want, that sounds like access point mode.