cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi

I have been having trouble using Wi-Fi for a week and half now had 2 engineers out up to now one said until they replace the full line it's never going to work properly but apparently this isn't in his notes they arnt willing to replace a full line all I get is buffering disconnecting all the time can't watch anything my son can't use Xbox live done all the troubleshooting more than once can't load websites really slow if at all can't get Wi-Fi on my mobile at all had to pay for extra data they said I have too many devices connected but never had a problem with this previously and engineer said that has nothing to do with it can't change provider as apparently in a contract even tho I have already done my first 12 months so I am basically paying for nothing they say not showing a problem at their end but on my app when I do service status it says weak Wi-Fi and problem detected with tv but they are saying the is nothing wrong I am at the end of my tether now don't know what to do next any help appreciated thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Prior to a week and half ago was the WiFI working fine and was you using the same ISP and same router or have you changed provider and router recently or moved the router into a different location in your home ?

Is NowTV your broadband provider and if you have already done a 12 month contract with them, have you re signed up again with NowTV for a further 12 months on their super saver broadband deal ?

If you are with NowTV are you using the Hub 1 or Hub 2 router where the Hub 2 router is significantly better over wifi ?

Did the Engineer test & confirm that the incoming internet speeds are what they expected ?  

What download and upload speeds was you given as an estimate when you signed up and what speeds are you measuring at the router ?

Have you tried an Ethernet cable between the router and any of your devices to see if there is any big improvement over WiFI ?

If your router is dual band, i am guessing you have tried different frequencies bands and channels in the router settings.

What's the wifi signal like when you are using a device in the same room as your router ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Everything was fine up to a week and a half ago no problems not changed anything at all up to doing troubleshooting the last week and half it tested fine when engineer had done he said he fixed some corossion on cable I think I must have signed up for another 12 months so they say so I am now left with paying for something I am not getting it doesn't work any better when I am in same room as router I am not really technically minded but all I know is never had an issue up to a week n half ago now all this thankyou for reply just had to turn to mobile data to this as keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I havnt tried Ethernet cable most devices are tablets don't use laptop much my son uses his laptop regular not sure which hub I have
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

So NowTV are your broadband provider ?

If you have been with NowTV for over a year then I am assuming you are using the Hub 1 router ?

I am guessing you have tried pressing the reset button on the Hub Router to see if there is any improvement over WiFI ?

Suppose there is always a small chance that the Hub Router has developed a fault with it's inbuilt wifi antenna, where the BT Open Reach Engineer will not check the Router wifi because their responsibility is only up to the in coming master telephone socket.

Personally if it was me, i would contact the nowtv broadband team and ask them for further technical assistance.

There should be a telephone helpline number under My Account > My Package (moving home) and ask them to transfer you to the relevant broadband team.

Whilst on the phone to them, ask them to confirm if you are still on a fixed 12 month broadband contract or you are now on a non contract flexible agreement.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been a now tv customer for 14 months I have spoke to technical team many times over last week and half and nothing so far has changed anything up to then I have been able to use all my devices with no problems now I can't it disconnects it buffers and won't load pages thank you for your reply
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am guessing the nowtv broadband technical dept have asked you to press the reset button on the back of the router ?

When you phone them back, raise the question "could it be possible that the Hub Router has developed a fault over wifi" and would they consider replacing it with a new Hub router (just to eliminate the router out of the equation that is causing you the wifi problems at your home).

I would still get confirmation from nowtv that you are on a fixed broadband contract or not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay thankyou I'm going to ring them now I will ask about router when I spoke to care team yesterday she said i was in a contract
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I am experiencing all the above issues and file a complaint.

They very kindly respond but the bottom line is that they believe their service ends at the router and any problems with wifi are mine,

"As a service provider we do not guarantee a wireless connection*"

and mine alone

"If the above options show no improvement we would encourage you to purchase a Wireless booster which can increase the signal around the home meaning you will get better signal at range"

Having just signed up with this wunch I have  only 11 months and 8 days to go... Things they don't tell you in the blurb such as shipping a substandard piece of kit which cannot deliver wifi unlike previous routers from Virgin, Plusnet, et al

enjoy!