cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesSayer
Advocate

Wifi switched ofc

I run a line test and it keeps saying my WiFi is switched off. Restart the router and the same happens. I have 3 green lights on, a speed checker says I'm getting 34mbps when I should be arround 72.

Why am I getting 3 green light and 34mbps if it says WiFi is off. 

4 REPLIES 4
chilli2
Elite

connect via ehternet and try that way, you should also be able to configure the router over a wired connection

if all else fails try a factory re-set

Jayach
Elite 3

I'm confused, are you connected over Wi-Fi when you run the test?

Who says you should be getting 72Mbs?

What line test are you using?

JohnnyMo
Mentor

72Mbs is not on the list of NOW packages -- Super Fibre is about 63, Fab Fibre is about 36Mbs which could be what you are on. How did you measure 34Mbs, at the router or over WiFi? 

chilli2
Elite

72 is technically possible as the "package" is an openreach FTTC one with a theoretical top speed of 80 down and 20 up.

Due to complaints  Offcom then said that speeds should be sold on an average , where before they were sold on an "upto"  as  selling on "upto" speeds caused confusion, so now things are sold on average speed, which also causes confusion.

Routers will report something called sync speed which in turn is often higher than actual speeds.

Wifi can also be hit and miss, so any speed tests should be run over a wired connection and not wifi especially if they are being used to diagnose speed issues.