cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi not strong

We have a small house, router is in the centre point on the landing, doors to downstairs not ever closed, wifi is weak in the kitchen and as soon as you step outside it disconnects, even though you’re mere meters away from the router. Before I call nowtv, any suggestions? We pay to have a strong download speed. 

2 REPLIES 2
chilli2
Elite

Try splitting the band's in the router settings.

Also try an app to measure WiFi strength and what other networks may be on the same channel.

For best results try connecting via ethernet as opposed to WiFi.

On a Wired connection what Speeds are you getting?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Now routers have notoriously weak WiFi. For the record, what you are paying for is the speed at the router, and Now don’t give any guarantees on range.

If what @chilli2 describes doesn’t solve it, and Ethernet to everything is impractical, you can try either:-

(i) find an alternative router - must support MER61 - and use that

(ii) get one of these to extend things:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178.html

The second option will be rather easier to set up, I think, and will let you move the WiFi end about to find the optimum positioning for your property.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.