cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi keeps dropping.

I'm at the end of my tether. Was on Plusnet with the same BT line but moved to NOW. The connection keeps dropping. NOW couldn't test the line so sent out an Openreach engineer who found a fault outside the building. That was a bit confusing. As I said the broadband worked very well on Plusnet. NOW say that the line now has no faults.

Thing is, the connection still drops. NOW say that its probably a WIFI issue but I don't think thats the case. I think its a router problem (if its not a line problem). I think this because I also have a BT Wholehub system and have a WIFI network set up on that. Whether or not the BT system is plugged in, the NOW WIFI/or connection drops. If the BT Wholehub WIFI is plugged into the NOW router, the BT Wholehub WIFI drops at the same time as the NOW WIFI network.

Can anyone tell me if I reset the router by pressing in the reset button on the back of the NOW router the log in details will be wiped?

I'm working in Europe and will have to get my elderly father to try to reset the router. That will be the limit of his troubleshooting skills.

Anyone else have router problems with NOW?      

4 REPLIES 4
chilli2
Elite

How is your wifi system connected to the Now router?

I also moved form plusnet to Now, however i had no issues at all when moving and no issues with the service form Now.

The only difference is that i do not use the Now router, instead i use my own device - a TPlink Archer VR2800 , which i also used when i was with pusnet

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for the reply. My BT Wholehub Wifi system is plugged into the back of the NOW router from the main BT disc. It was plugged into the back of the Plusnet router previously without issue. As I said...when the NOW wifi network drops....so does my own BT Wholehub network. I'm not going to spend money on a router if the service is indeed the issue and I move to some other ISP such as Virgin.

chilli2
Elite

If it worked wth plusnets router, but doesnt with the now router my instinct would be to put the blame on the Now router.

I know that unlike here, the plusnet forums have tech support staff who can assist in fixing things and they can also see and check how stable a line is and how often the connection disconects and reconects

There are reports on here and elewhere of the now router falling over - ie re booting over the ethernet conection, and others have had similar issues when using the now router in conjunction with mesh wifi systems.

Now should be able to see if your line is stable, and take apropiate action if not, however that depends upon how clued up the call centre staff are ( my guess is not very)

If i was in your situation i would look at replacing the now router, as the cost of a replacement router/modem combined with the price of now broadband over 12 months would more than likely still be cheaper than another ISP . I use a TP link Archer VR2800 modem router, however other cheaper models will also work, and for finding out what, i would go to the TP link support site forums under DSL modems and routers. If you are unsure then you could get a second hand used router from somewhere like CEX where at least it will have some warranty/guarentee or ebay where it shold be cheaper than new.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with all you say. I bit the bullet and bought a second hand router same as yours that was used on NOW until recently. I don't get home from work until 9 December....I'll try it out then.

Virgin are offering me a connection 100mb/s faster than NOW for £26 a month. If I also take an unlimited O2 sim for £16.99 a month (which I was considering anyway), I get 252mb/s. I don't need those speeds tbh, but I wouldn't turn them down. Thanks my friend.