cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi Range Extenders

I have recently moved to a nowtv broadband package and have the new V2 hub however the wifi coverage is really poor compared to what I had previously.

I have some powerline netgear kit, specifically a XAV1301 which connects to a port on the router and a power socket, and a XAVN2001v2 which connects to the XAV1301 to give an ethernet port and wifi wherever you want in the house.

So the ethernet part works fine however I cannot get it to extend the wireless as well (it worked seamlessly with my old BT router), I have tried all sorts of combinations to fix it, resetting the router, changing channels, attempting to connect manually and through wep, nothing works. 

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue or have experience of using a wifi extender which works?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry Roy.  Same problem.  Seems like the NOWTV router may be functionally very poor.  I cant get my extender or usb wifi dongle for my NAS drive to link to the nowtv broadband router.  I have raised a complaint and am planning to exit the contract.  I have never had such problems before.  All my laptops connect directly to the router fine but any kind of advanced networking such as wifi extenders seems hopeless.  I would suggest trying to cancel the contract with NowTV and dont waste any more of your time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having exactly the same issue. I would love to know a resolution to this.  I live in an old house with thick walls so routers cant reach some places, so I bought a Netgear extender, which worked fine with my BT router. I cannot seem to get it to connect to the internet with this new Hub 2. 

Google is telling me that a MAC filter is causing the issue, but I cannot see any way to stop this on the Hub set up

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the tp-link TL-WA850RE and had the same problem, after an evening of messing around, visited the tp-link website and downloaded the most recent firmware, this includes a fix and within half an hour it is up and running 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
if you change the default gateway on your devices to 192.182.0.1 it should work. Most other routers are 192.168.1.1 this was the fix for my CCTV system when switching to NowTV hub for me with Meraki Access Points.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same happened to me, moved from sky router to nowtv and my WiFi range extender s stopped working. I eventually found the problem. Unlike sky, and many other routers out there, the nowtv 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals are broadcast with exactly the same said. I knowkthis can be changed inisettings butbmy setsstill didntd work. I have since ordered a new WiFi range extender and will be interested to see if a newern more advanced, unit is the snswer. If this still doesn't work then nowtv are going to have major problems whenever customers eed to extend their WiFi. Next step will be to ask nowtv if they can recommend a suitable product...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I  have recently moved into an old property and the wifi doesn't seem to reach some of the rooms probably due to the thickness of the walls.  I saw your post and wondered if you were albe to get your situation resolved and if so if you could recommend a suitable extender that I could buy? 

I am in a 3 bed house, which is not large by any standards.

Any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Hi Louise

Like in Phil's post above, I bought myself a TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender.  It's cheap, relatively easy to set up and should give you the extended range you are looking for.

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Wi-Fi Extender.jpg

However, you should do a bit of research to see if it will meet your requirements, I was in a similar situation to you and this extender did it for me.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've just switched to NOW from Vodafone and the wifi is dreadful!! It used to reach all rooms fine with Vodafone, now it doesn't work properly in the rooms not close to the router. This is very frustrating. Do NOW provide a booster? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem having switched from Talk Talk.  The download speed to the router is great, but it's pointless as it's only our one wired connection that benefits.  Anything on wifi struggles to get a signal.