cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi on Floor Above Router

I am about to get NOW Broadband installed. The BT Master socket is on the ground floor. Most of my broadband usage will be on the first floor and I would also like to get NOW TV with the TV also on the first floor. Is the WiFi signal likely to be good enough between floors so there is no buffering or picture breakup using the NOW TV stick?

Will plugging the router into another telephone socket (which is near the TV on the first floor) cause problems?

What is the best option?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @HopeItsWorthIt

Have your NowTV broadband gone live yet ?

If not why don't you wait until up and running where your wifi might be fine for your requirements.

With my Hub 2 router on fab fibre i get excellent wifi reception and performance from my wifi connected devices all around my house, where i can even use my tablet and phone in the back garden or our front driveway with no wifi drop outs.

Should the nowtv broadband already gone live and the wifi signal is weak, maybe look at the Sky wifi extender which i would assume would be compatible with the nowtv hub router (which is a clone of the Sky Q hub).

Can't vouch for either the Sky branded wifi extender or the TP Link device because i don't use any on my home network.

Hopefully somebody who has first hand experience with these devices will offer you some further guidance and advise.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is no definative answer to your question as it depends on distances, floor/wall construction and quality of your phone wiring.

From my experience the best TV signal is obtained by having the router as close to the receiving device as possible and using 5GHz WiFi between the two.

I am in a similar position to you and have extended my phone wiring from the master socket to a point in the same room as my TV. This then allowed me to setup my NowTV router2 to have a 5GHz WiFi segment for my Amazon FireStick and 2.4GHz for all other WiFi devices in the house - 2.4GHz gives a much better coverage at distance and through walls etc.

In my case the phone wiring is new and gives a good connection between the master socket and the router. This may not be true in your case and the only way to tell is to try the router on the master socket, speed test your line, then move the router to the secondary phone socket and test the line speed again.

Will moving the router during the first few days after activation prevent the line being optimised by NOW Broadband properly?

The house was built in 2006 so the wiring is relatively new. Would it be better if I have an access point (possibly TP-LINK TL-WA801ND) in the room where I want to use it and run a wired connection from the access point to the NOW TV hub?  Hiding the wires might be tricky though.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @HopeItsWorthIt

Have your NowTV broadband gone live yet ?

If not why don't you wait until up and running where your wifi might be fine for your requirements.

With my Hub 2 router on fab fibre i get excellent wifi reception and performance from my wifi connected devices all around my house, where i can even use my tablet and phone in the back garden or our front driveway with no wifi drop outs.

Should the nowtv broadband already gone live and the wifi signal is weak, maybe look at the Sky wifi extender which i would assume would be compatible with the nowtv hub router (which is a clone of the Sky Q hub).

Can't vouch for either the Sky branded wifi extender or the TP Link device because i don't use any on my home network.

Hopefully somebody who has first hand experience with these devices will offer you some further guidance and advise.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @HopeItsWorthIt

Hopefully, you wont have too invest in a secondary wifi booster device in your home setup.

If for some reason you are looking at a wifi booster in the future, then hold fire on the Sky Q wifi booster at the moment.

Where i have asked somebody at NowTV if they can check with their Tech Dept and confirm if the Sky Q wifi booster is compatible with the NowTV Hub 2 router and i am waiting a response from them.

Once i get an answer either way i will post back here.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps, just wondering if you ever received confirmation as to whether the Sky Q Wifi booster is compatible with the Now TV hub (and actually extends the mesh network etc.)?

I'm currently with Sky but am considering switching to Now TV when my contract ends in a few months but I'm currently having some online gaming issues. My suspicion is that the wifi signal isn't quite strong/reliable enough from my ground floor Sky Q hub up to my Xbox One in the loft so I'm considering placing a Sky Q wifi booster on the 1st floor in between to see if that helps.

Everything I read says you need to be with sky for the mesh networking to work but I'm hoping that the same may apply with Now TV for obvious reasons.

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yes I have been informed by a NowTV staff member that the Sky Q WiFi booster will work with the NowTV Hub 2 Router.

I don't use a WiFi booster or extender in my home network setup where most of my devices are wired over Ethernet and the devices that operate over WiFi work fine for me on the Hub 2 router without the aid of a wireless booster.  

So I can't say how much of an improvement the Sky Q booster makes to somebodies NowTV Hub 2 or Sky Q Hub Router with regards to WiFi performance coverage. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps,

Sorry I've just seen you reply to somebody else's query recently stating that you do know that the Sky Q wifi boosters are compatible so thanks for the info and hopefully this will help anyone who stumbles onto this thread with the same question Smiley Happy