cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

WiFi Coverage

WiFi is good in our living room (near the router) and in the master bedroom above, but not so good, or very poor, in all other rooms. What do I need to do to get better WiFi signal strength in all rooms in my home? It is only a small 3-bedroom modern house. No thick walks, etc. 

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You will need to purchase a Wi-Fi booster via a third party site such as a Amazon. Unfortunately NOW don’t offer these devices.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Any recommendations for a proven booster?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

In the past used to to have TP link boosters, however that was several years ago. Now I’m with BT and using their boosters at no extra cost.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

I wouldnt recommend any wifi boosters/repeaters with the exception of mesh networks ( from respected manufacturers)

The Now router is known for having poor wifi strength, however there are a few things you can do to improve things:

1: separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, this is an option in the router settings/config page,  and give the 5Ghz wifi a different name.

This will not improve the strength but what it will do is this:

2.4Ghz travels further, but can be more congested and slightly slower.

5Ghz is faster and less congested in busty/built up areas, but doesnt go as far.

2.4 will be more than adequate in most situations , the slightly slower speed will not ( usually)  have any real world effect, but you will be able to force some devices onto 2.4

Next download an android app called wifi analyzer and use this to measure the signal strentgh.

If non of the above work, and if you can try repositioning your router, keep it off the floor, away from TV's, fish tanks, microwaves. window ledges etc

If that still doesnt work, then you are looking at getting some new/replacement hardware .

If you have had good wifi with a previous ISP then i would recommend buying a replacement router , however this must be compatible with Now/Skys MER log in system ( not all are) if you want a single box solution as the now router currently is  ( modem/firewall/router/access point) you must make sure its compatible

Next up you could try a powerline adaptor with built in wifi  - however the cost of these will only be slightly less than a router/modem

chilli2
Elite

Another question:

Have you had another ISP at the property before? and if so who was it and what equipment did you have? do you still have it?

Was the wifi from that router better?

another thing ive just spotted, you said a small "modern" house.

Really old buildings can have thick stone walls,  modern houses and modern barn conversions often have metal backed insulation both of which can cause issues with wifi ( and mobile ) signals