cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: When will we finally see HD live streams and 1080p on-demand picture quality?

@Trans_Goth_Girl 

A while back, a few people posted on here that they had been offered Full HD for about £3.99 a month, and there are, or were, even images to prove it.

Whatever was doing it was hastily pulled, but we might take it that NowTV were at least thinking about HD at that point.

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: When will we finally see HD live streams and 1080p on-demand picture quality?

@Trans_Goth_Girl 

I’m seeing Rolling 30-day Broadband from Virgin, but I’m not seeing Rolling 30-day TV.

Have you got a link to this?

But even if they did, it would probably be full Virgin, and more expensive than a month out of a year’s contract.

A very different proposition from the cherry-picking we can do with NowTV.

I think Sky ponder quite deeply on how to ensure the minimum cannibalisation of their full service by NowTV.

I’m with you on what you say in the rest of your post, though.

If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@Trans_Goth_Girl 

If you look at sets that are 32in or smaller, quite a lot of these ‘bedroom TVs’ are 720p.

Above 32in though, even HD is being driven out by UHD, though a few HD sets up to 50in still hold sway.

gavs82008
Expert 3

@mike1270 @crashcris @Trans_Goth_Girl 

Lets be clear. 

Now TV in 1080p with 5.1 surround sound is coming, trust me. The trials are still on going. 

Comcast has openingly stated that Now TV was one of the gems behind Sky when they were bidding against Fox. They have gone as far to say that they will be launching a similar model to Now TV in the States. 

It isn't just Now TV that don't transmit in full HD, you have All4 and ITV hub both have a plus tier for advert free viewing, but the only way to get ITV hub in HD is via Amazon and that isn't even the same content that is shared on it. 

With Comcast behind Sky they will be big on pushing for streaming services and want to provide "the best service possible" no doubt. 

I think the smallest screen size I’ve seen for 1080p in 2019 is probably 43, I kind of view 43 as the new 32 😜
easygoing
Mentor

Isn’t that to do with Comcast Peacock 😂😜😂 (Whoever names these things need to find a new job I think) if so I now remember I did hear about that on the what’s on Disney+ podcast.

Didn’t everybody from Comcast basically give the NOW TV engineers a call and say can you give us a hand please?

I just hope there comes a day when NOW TV is seen as a legitimate option for a lot of TV goers and not just sort of redheaded stepchild.

I basically switched from Sky Q to NOW TV because I couldn’t justify the £73.50 a month and considering I was only watching everything that Sky One, Witness and Atlantic had to offer within their respective box sets wasn’t really worth it.

Even the 4K content is very hit and miss especially when you add apples to the mix.

again though it would be nice to see Universal TV considering that Comcast now own Sky be made available on NOW TV with catchup, hell even if they added box sets that would be awesome.
gavs82008
Expert 3

@easygoing 

That article is dated back to May. 

Like almost everyone on this forum we await an official update from Sky/Now TV for 1080p. Although considering the download function was almost randomly added one day and on the same day news was sent out. So I wouldn't be surprised if they launched it and then on the same day made an announcement. 

Either way, the trials still on going. No date for completion after emailing them. Still additional improvements to the app come with each build. More to follow considering the wish-list I sent them!

Makes sense, I’m also assuming that this includes the new revamped Apple TV app?

I’m going to assume that you’re in the trial so if I have assumed correctly and you do have access/have had access to the Apple TV app do you know if NOW TV are looking to go back on the active subscription list if you want to pay through iTunes?

Don’t worry if you don’t know the answer because in the end we are all consumers here, It’s all good.
0 Thanks
gavs82008
Expert 3

@Trans_Goth_Girl 

Indeed you are correct that I am part of the trials, but I am using a Now TV stick for the purpose. Normally my main source for Now TV is the app on my Samsung 55" 4K TV, but doing the trial I am really focused on picture and sound, which is pleasing me so far. If they can get my suggestions on as part of the next build then we could be in for a better experience. 

Sorry to say that I don't own an Apple TV, so I am unable to comment on that side of the trials. 

0 Thanks