cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will we finally see HD live streams and 1080p on-demand picture quality?

Hello, I have been following nowtv.com now for years. Great service. Great on-screen-design. 

But when when we be able to watch e.g. the Discovery live stream in HD? Or Nickelodeon? Or Paramount? To offer SD streams nowdays is "stone age".  

Also on-demand movies should be 1080p quality in 2019. 

When will be finally see quality improvements? 

32 REPLIES 32
RoyB
Legend

@crashcris 

Or we could call 720p HD- 😛

But ‘HD Ready’ is the time-honoured, if somewhat dishonest, name for 720p resolution and the TV sets that provide 1280 * 720 screens.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
How many TV’s do people buy that are 720P though? I’d guess not many, most people have 1080P TV’s although in the rare instance people are still rocking CRT TV’s (I’m serious, my mates family are still rocking a CRT TV). 😜😂😜
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you look at sets that are 32in or smaller, quite a lot of these ‘bedroom TVs’ are 720p.

Above 32in though, even HD is being driven out by UHD, though a few HD sets up to 50in still hold sway.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @crashcris @Anonymous User 

Lets be clear. 

Now TV in 1080p with 5.1 surround sound is coming, trust me. The trials are still on going. 

Comcast has openingly stated that Now TV was one of the gems behind Sky when they were bidding against Fox. They have gone as far to say that they will be launching a similar model to Now TV in the States. 

It isn't just Now TV that don't transmit in full HD, you have All4 and ITV hub both have a plus tier for advert free viewing, but the only way to get ITV hub in HD is via Amazon and that isn't even the same content that is shared on it. 

With Comcast behind Sky they will be big on pushing for streaming services and want to provide "the best service possible" no doubt. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Isn’t that to do with Comcast Peacock 😂😜😂 (Whoever names these things need to find a new job I think) if so I now remember I did hear about that on the what’s on Disney+ podcast.

Didn’t everybody from Comcast basically give the NOW TV engineers a call and say can you give us a hand please?

I just hope there comes a day when NOW TV is seen as a legitimate option for a lot of TV goers and not just sort of redheaded stepchild.

I basically switched from Sky Q to NOW TV because I couldn’t justify the £73.50 a month and considering I was only watching everything that Sky One, Witness and Atlantic had to offer within their respective box sets wasn’t really worth it.

Even the 4K content is very hit and miss especially when you add apples to the mix.

again though it would be nice to see Universal TV considering that Comcast now own Sky be made available on NOW TV with catchup, hell even if they added box sets that would be awesome.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I think the smallest screen size I’ve seen for 1080p in 2019 is probably 43, I kind of view 43 as the new 32 😜
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

This Samsung set, not quite 2019, but only released in November 2018, is still current in their range, so I think it just about squeaks in under your criteria:-

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/full-hd-n5300/

43” may well be the new 32”, but nobody told our bedroom 😳

1A9380F1-00DD-4922-9B18-2D5E8975FD72.jpeg

No wonder I’m wanting to keep our 2012 32in Samsung (HD and 3D!) in the other bedroom alive with a smartness transfusion from a Roku Stick......

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Fair enough 😜
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"HD Ready" is not HD though. This is one of the many areas where NOW TV falls miles behind its competition.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV have introduced Now TV Boost,

You have an option to start 7 day free trial. 

After 7 days a Sports Pass with Now TV Boost: 

Sky Sports Day Pass + Now TV Boost - £12.99

Sky Sports Week Pass + Now TV Boost - £17.99

Sky Sports Month Pass + 7 day Now TV Boost free trial - £33.99

Now TV Boost auto-renews at £3 a month if you have an active Month Pass

Good to know - You won’t be able to get a Now TV Boost free trial if you only have a Sky Sports Day or Week Pass on your account

Enjoy full HD and Dolby 5.1 surround sound on up to 3 devices at once. Available on selected content and devices only. HD not available on Hayu or Fox. Cancel  anytime. See https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

Keep in mind - You’ll need a minimum internet speed of 12Mbps to stream in 1080p