cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will we finally see HD live streams and 1080p on-demand picture quality?

Hello, I have been following nowtv.com now for years. Great service. Great on-screen-design. 

But when when we be able to watch e.g. the Discovery live stream in HD? Or Nickelodeon? Or Paramount? To offer SD streams nowdays is "stone age".  

Also on-demand movies should be 1080p quality in 2019. 

When will be finally see quality improvements? 

32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous User
Not applicable

That my friend is a question just about everyone on here would love an answer to.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

SD is 576i

NowTV is 720p.

So while not 1080p ‘Full HD’, it is ‘HD’ as in ‘HD Ready’

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been informed by an advisor at Now TV that it’s being worked on an a announcement will be made soon. The word soon can be according to them be anytime. It can be today, tomorrow, next week, one month or next year, that information has not been given. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s good to hear hopefully an announcement will be soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I asked if NOW TV would have a payment tier system (think Netflix payment plan) they did say it was something they were looking into but I’m thinking they might want to announce something in the next couple of weeks, That is pure speculation on my part as I have no Inside Information.

just something in my waters considering NOW TV haven’t had a big announcement in awhile.

I know this might be grasping at straws but maybe subscribe to the NOW TV YouTube channel in the event they might announce something on there.

Thanks for your time in reading this post

crashcris
Scholar

Yes, @RoyB you need to mend your ways. Of course, technically you are correct, but we all know what the OP was asking and quite frankly, 720 cannot be considered HD, it's more like SD+ (which isn't an official rating but one that more accurately describes it). Also the other issue is that for over FOUR YEARS, people have been crying out for full HD and 5.1 surround. This idea that NOW have been hinting/ suggesting that it's all just right around the corner has been speculated for well over a year now, and still no official confirmation of any upgrades to the service. I'm sure it will come one day, but it confounds me that they haven't sorted this out years ago. It's the main reason I don't watch movies on Now and my lovely money goes to Netflix instead, who knows, Apple TV might also get some of my spendy, yet NOW will only ever get me paying for the entertainment package every now and again.

Sort yourselves out NOWTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That’s fair but I also think Sky don’t want to throw ACTUAL money at the NOW TV service itself because everybody seems to be worrying that it will cannibalise the main premium service.

I’m personally calling BS because virgin media have a 30 day rolling contract on top of their 12 month contract for TV so I fail to see how it could cannibalise Sky’s Business after all competition and consumer choice can only be good things and it’s not like the market is oversaturated here in the UK anyway.

Nobody is missing much on the premium service either because Dolby Atmos and 4K are pretty much non-existent to just there.

Ultimately there isn’t that much that Sky would have to do with NOW TV to make it an attractive service for people who didn’t want to be in long lengthy contracts.

1080p at 50 FPS

Multichannel audio

For Apple device uses integration into the TV app would be much appreciated (This might have to have a serious conversation though between both Sky and Apple but still that would only help Apple’s business in selling Apple TV’s essentially)

Improved/updated app for Apple TV

I think ultimately though if we don’t hear anything by the end of the year Sky/NOW TV have done a disservice to customers or potential customers waiting by blowing smoke somewhere.

I was just looking at the NOW TV site in Italy and they seem to have had it for awhile with like €2.99 surcharge attached for what they call Super HD.

I don’t really know what anybody is actually waiting for unless people are worried about peoples Internet connections, if it’s that I just say it’s not the United States because over there it sounds atrocious for broadband speeds.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

A while back, a few people posted on here that they had been offered Full HD for about £3.99 a month, and there are, or were, even images to prove it.

Whatever was doing it was hastily pulled, but we might take it that NowTV were at least thinking about HD at that point.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m seeing Rolling 30-day Broadband from Virgin, but I’m not seeing Rolling 30-day TV.

Have you got a link to this?

But even if they did, it would probably be full Virgin, and more expensive than a month out of a year’s contract.

A very different proposition from the cherry-picking we can do with NowTV.

I think Sky ponder quite deeply on how to ensure the minimum cannibalisation of their full service by NowTV.

I’m with you on what you say in the rest of your post, though.