cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

WhatsApp

I recently switched to now TV broadband and have no issues with speed. According to speetest I'm getting 24MBps which I'm happy with.

My issue is a weird one. Most browsing seems to work fine, and I can watch and stream shows, but when my mobile connects to WiFi, I can't receive WhatsApp messages. I get messages saying there are new ones waiting for me, but they don't download.

I haven't changed any firewall settings but it seems like there might be a firewall at the either the exchange or at nowtv. It's a weird one to troubleshoot as there are no error messages, but it's like something is blocking the messages coming through.

I also experience strange things with Facebook where it doesn't seem to update. Everything else seems to be ok, but I have no errors to troubleshoot.

Has any one else experienced this? I don't want to get in touch with the call center yet (but may have to) as I don't want to start at the beginning. I have rebooted my router and changed WiFi channel. Signal strength is fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Bit of a shot in the dark, is there anything in the broadband buddy settings that's causing it ?

Go to My Account > Parental Controls where you will see the option to change your Broadband Buddy settings.

My Broadband Buddy is switched off, but i don't use Facebook or the Whats App.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Bit of a shot in the dark, is there anything in the broadband buddy settings that's causing it ?

Go to My Account > Parental Controls where you will see the option to change your Broadband Buddy settings.

My Broadband Buddy is switched off, but i don't use Facebook or the Whats App.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did some tests least night and found I couldn't access the WhatsApp website either. I the found the broadband buddy settings were set to PG. This seems to block all social media. I tried whitelisting WhatsApp and Facebook but that didn't work. It's now set to 13 so at least my kids are protected.

Just a quick mention that nowtv support suggested I factory reset my phone?!?!!

Thanks for replying!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem with WhatsApp not working. The solution that worked for me was to go into Parental Controls / Broadband Buddy and allow  'Social Networking' setting. If it is blocked, simply unblock it and your WhatApp should work normally. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do you access Parental Controls / Broadband Buddy?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

This link should point you in the right direction.

http://account.nowtv.com/broadband-buddy/settings/

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. All sorted.