cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What do i need set up in my house to install box?

Hi, i have two boxes on the wall in my house one is a box with a power cable socket, a Ethernet socket and a wire that leads to the outside of the house.

The second is just a standard telephone socket 

I have no wires that go with these (including the power cable, do i need to buy or check anything before my wifi box arrives and my internet goes live?

Thanks

Tom

7 REPLIES 7
Jayach
Elite 3

It sounds like you have an ONT (Optical network terminal) (without it's PSU), which means it is FTTP (Fibre to the Property). You really shouldn't have been sold Now, as they only do FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet). If the BT socket socket is functional you could get Now through that, although once FTTP is available at a property there should be no new FTTC services provided.

chilli2
Elite

Can you take and post a photo of what you have, both the boxes inside and any connections and wires outside as it would help especially if you are unsure of terms like NTE5, mastersocket, ONT etc.

Also if you can, plug a corded phone into the phone socket, can you have anything, like a dial tone?

Plus what did you have before, if anything at the property ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Jayach @chilli2 

i couldnt upload a photo but the link below should work?

i have only just moved to the property so im not sure what was there before

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSLAd5pAQhPzMG439

Jayach
Elite 3

That looks messy, is that a piece of braid just hanging from the fibre cable?

The Now router will just connect to the Openreach socked (top socket as that is for DSL and is prefiltered)

The only problem is Openreach may refuse to connect the line as you have FTTP available.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Jayach thanks for your help, how do i know if the line can be connected? I dont want to wait for 2 weeks only to find it wont work.

Jayach
Elite 3

I guess you could call now ask if the order is going through O.K.  You could explain why you are checking, but they may not understand.

Knowing the correct number to call with Now can be difficult, but try 0330 041 2518

chilli2
Elite

That installation is appalling, and it looks bad as well.

As hinted at above you could be in a fibre only area, that is what is being sold as a full fibre only area, to check put your postcode into this openreach checker site:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

what do you see?

do you see an entry for VDSL/FTTC/ADSL and loads of info or just a little bit of info under the purple headers, the key here is FTTP priority exchange either Yes or No