cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Weak router

Hallo!

I received my router last week and connected on Thursday. I’ve noticed however that the signal around the house is much weaker than my previous router from plusnet. Is this normal?

if so how many I improve the signal, are there setting to change or can I just use my olde plusnet router?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Jayach
Elite 3

I'm sure someone will be along soon to suggest splitting the Wi-Fi bands. I wouldn't bother, you can't make a silk purse out a sow's ear.

The best bet is to add an wireless AP(Access Point) to replace the poor Wi-Fi, or replace the router completely. There are now many that will work with the Sky/Now service.

It may be possible to use the old router as an WAP (google it) but that is often less than optimal.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes it’s normal, no, there are no settings to change*, and no, you probably can’t use your old PlusNet router instead.

Though if you can put it into Client mode, you can attach it as a device to the Now router, and use it as a WiFi distributor.

You could use a LinkSys or Netgear router, as long as it supports the Sky MER 61 protocol and supports your ADSL/VDSL service from Now (V if there is ‘Fibre’ in the Now Broadband service name).

But I think one of these 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222011.html

is simplest (John Lewis has them in stock, last time I looked), as you can put the WiFi end either by the router to take over from it, or in any other room in the house where you especially need good WiFi.

Avoid WiFi extenders; they are not as effective, as the extender can only be placed somewhere the WiFi from the router is strong and reliable, while the above device can have its WiFi end anywhere your mains will reach.

*People talk about splitting the 2.4Mhz and 5Mhz bands, for the miracle trifecta of better wifi speed, better WiFi reliability, and better WiFi range. But you can’t achieve all three, and will only see improvements from this if your remote devices have not picked the optimum band anyway. 
Also using the Android WiFi Analyzer app to see if the router is on a crowded channel, and will do better on a less crowded one. Something the router should be doing for itself anyway.

These might bring about minor improvements, but will likely not be the quantum leap you probably need.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Splitting the bands may have an effect as some devices do not inform you if they are connected to 2.4 or 5Ghz wifi.

2.4 will go further but wont be as fast.

5Ghz will be faster but not go as far

In terms of real world use its all down to how far away you are/the signal strength in a particular area from the router , so it can make a slight difference

Likewise you can try changing the position of the router, things such as window frames, TVs, Fish tanks, microwaves etc can affect the signal .

If that works for you then all well and done, however as alluded to by RoyB the heart of the issue is the device thats providing the wifi, and thats the Now router.

There are a few options on the table that should improve things - again stay away from wifi repeaters/boosters .

You may already have equipment that will do the job, such as an old plusnet router with a bit of setting up you can use the old plusnet router as a wifi hotspot/switch ( for more Ethernet sockets) connected to the Now router. there is a guide as to how to do this here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...

However that will involve two boxes, and the Plusnet router isnt the greatest either although its slightly better than the now box ( but thats not saying much)

The best option is to use your own kit - I already had a TP link router and found this topic ( on the tp link forums linkled below)  incredibly useful in setting it up  for Now I understand that the TP link VR series works with Now/Sky but i would check before you buy on the TP link site/forums

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802?page=1

So if i was in the same situation as  @Anonymous User  I would set the plusnet router up as a temporary two box solution as detailed on the plusnet thread, and then get a dedicated single box router/modem

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks i managed to go through these steps and can connect to the slave (plusnet) router. However as theyre connected via ethernet now and i only have a 1m cable, then the range hasnt improved much. Is it possible to have the plusnet router connnected to the now router wirelessly so i can move it into another room? Would be ideal if i could move the plusnet router to the upstairs landing so there's full coverage upstairs. If not ill have to purchase a longer ethernet cable, if i was staying at this property for longer i would invest in a tp link, so perhaps when i move...

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

Is it possible to have the plusnet router connnected to the now router wirelessly so i can move it into another room? 

No.

@Anonymous User wrote:

I’ve noticed however that the signal around the house is much weaker than my previous router from plusnet.

The PlusNet router shouldn't be any worse working as an AP. than when you were on PlusNet.

RoyB
Legend

@Rob_ert_09 wrote:

Is it possible to have the Plusnet router connected to the Now router wirelessly so i can move it into another room? 

No, but you could connect it via a pair of PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors) over the mains, with a short Ethernet tail at each end connecting each router to its nearby PLA.

Non-WiFi PLAs are not enough cheaper than the WiFi PLA solution I mentioned above to merit doing this instead of that, but if you had an old pair of PLAs knocking about, you could do this at zero cost.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.