cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Want fibre broadband but existing fibre cable has been cut

I'm trying to sign up for 'fab fibre'. I'm currently on non-fibre broadband with another provider. The sign up page tells me no engineer visit is needed, presumably as a previous owner had fibre installed - but the outside cable has been cut through at some point in the past, so clearly that's going to need to be fixed.

Any suggestions on how I arrange for this? I don't want to sign up until I know this can get fixed before I reach the activation date and my existing internet gets cut off.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just had another read of your first orginal post, where you are saying that you currently have broadband working with another ISP provider.

If your current broadband is over the BT telephone line cable infrastructure, then my understanding is that BT Openreach will do the change over from standard broadband to fibre via the local street cabinet (might be wrong though) and there maybe no need to run a new cable or repair a broken cut cable outside your property.

It might be easier if you telephone the nowtv broadband team to get clarification and re assurance for them if you need an Engineer or not.

I am not allowed to post their telephone number on the public forum, but i will send you the phone number via a Private Message for you to talk to them direct.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Have a word with live chat or alternatively drop them a message on the link page below and make them aware that their broadband checker says no engineer required, but you believe the existing telephone line outside and feeding your property is cut.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks! They haven't responded to my message, though, and whenever I try the live chat I'm told there's a connection problem.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are having problems connecting to the live chat link that i posted previously, then try a different Internet browser with the ad blocker disabled or if that doesn't work try either incognito mode or a private window in your browser.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just had another read of your first orginal post, where you are saying that you currently have broadband working with another ISP provider.

If your current broadband is over the BT telephone line cable infrastructure, then my understanding is that BT Openreach will do the change over from standard broadband to fibre via the local street cabinet (might be wrong though) and there maybe no need to run a new cable or repair a broken cut cable outside your property.

It might be easier if you telephone the nowtv broadband team to get clarification and re assurance for them if you need an Engineer or not.

I am not allowed to post their telephone number on the public forum, but i will send you the phone number via a Private Message for you to talk to them direct.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you! It sounds like you're right. I managed to get through on the instant chat (it didn't seem to be a browser caching issue, another link worked) and they said as I've got a working OpenReach socket and the site is saying I don't need an engineer, I should be ok.

I believe the cable cut through was from a Virgin Media installation, and they said that cable wouldn't be compatible anyway. Didn't occur to me there might be another fibre-capable cable already installed. So hopefully that's all fine.