cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan_Avent
Advocate

Very poor wireless speeds in next room (hub 2)

I like in a single floor 3 bed flat, the wifi speed from the Livingroom (where the router is) is fine and in acceptable margins 62-65mbs down 16-20mbs up.

However just going to a bedroom or my office just down the hall, 5-10 feet away and the speeds drop considerably to  0.43-6mps down 0.08- 6mbs (if I'm lucky) there are no sources of interference surrounding the router and the walls are plasterboard. 

The range on the router is abysmal anything I can do to improve this, otherwise this isn't fit for purpose.

21 REPLIES 21
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

But splitting the bands 😛😂

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 wrote:

@RoyB 

But splitting the bands 😛😂

@gavs82008 

Yes, and not my sides 😅😂🤣

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Splitting the bands may have an effect, although its not great....

As far as my understanding goes, 2.4Ghz goes further that 5Ghz, however 2.4 is likely to  be more congested that is there are more devices using it, and more routers using 2.4 in the local area.

If the signal is good, then 5g should be better, however once the signal degrades with distance, or objects in the way then 2.4 will be better - all be it slower and more prone to issues.

Some devices will also latch onto a 5G signal and once you factor into distance etc then 5G will be worse than 2.4 , if the bands are not split then  in some cases it can be hard to immediately tell if the wifi is 2.4 or 5 , by splitting the bands you can force the device onto 2.4 .

This will give are more consistent wifi signal, but it wont be that great, so splitting the bands will give you average to mediocre everywhere, as opposed to good near the router and poor to mediocre everywhere else, more of a bodge than a real fix.

redchiz1
Champion 2

The thing is that splitting the bands will stop devices hunting between them and stop dropouts when that occurs.  

Jayach
Elite 3

That really is nonsense, modern devices are far more  intelligent than that. They can handle band switching perfectly well.

redchiz1
Champion 2

It really isn't and I have been through several devices and carry the scars of experience to prove it. Now stop trolling and try to post something helpful and relevant for a change. You have already been exposed as a charlatan in the past. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

You have already been exposed as a charlatan in the past. 

Only apparently to you. I doubt anybody else has that opinion.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Ryan_Avent You need to get a more capable router, they really aren't that expensive.

However I do understand that when you take out a contract you expect the device to be "fit for purpose".

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

My main beef with referring people to the Now advice to split the bands is the complete lack of any information about what you then have to do; the fairly laborious process of going through all your devices one by one and ensuring that each is on the optimum band.

The Now advice gives the impression that all you have to do is split the bands, and all your devices will automagically jump onto the appropriate band, which they couldn’t do before the bands were split. But, of course, the precise opposite is true; splitting the bands makes it harder for the devices to optimise themselves.

I’m not saying that splitting the bands, in very specific circumstances, can’t be beneficial. Though I would argue that for every device it benefits, there will likely be one it worsens things for.

The Now router has poor WiFi strength, and sure you can tinker round the edges, but the only satisfactory solution is to get more powerful WiFi.

Splitting the bands on a Now router is lipstick on a pig.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

The thing is it can help. Along with other tweaks. 

Of course the NOW support pages are lacking, seen any other ISPs whose aren't? That's why we have the community. To try and help. Not nay-saying all the time.

I have direct experience of using the NOW Hub, you?

Expertise is great, knowledge is good, opinion is generally of little help to users posting here.