cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan_Avent
Advocate

Very poor wireless speeds in next room (hub 2)

I like in a single floor 3 bed flat, the wifi speed from the Livingroom (where the router is) is fine and in acceptable margins 62-65mbs down 16-20mbs up.

However just going to a bedroom or my office just down the hall, 5-10 feet away and the speeds drop considerably to  0.43-6mps down 0.08- 6mbs (if I'm lucky) there are no sources of interference surrounding the router and the walls are plasterboard. 

The range on the router is abysmal anything I can do to improve this, otherwise this isn't fit for purpose.

21 REPLIES 21
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Ryan_Avent 

See this thread.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/No-wifi-coverage-downstairs/td-p/595407/jump-to/fir...

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Ryan_Avent
Advocate

sooo only way to fix there poor range is to by a Router from another ISP (technically Sky is separate) and use that? might as well move providers then.

redchiz1
Champion 2

If you have split your SSIDs are you having problems with both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands? For the former it is worth turning the bandwidth setting to 20MHz only and selecting from only channels 1, 6, or 11. A WiFi analyser may help if you haven't already tried one. 

Ryan_Avent
Advocate

yes both 2.5 and 5 have the issue i can be in the next room and the speeds are garbage with frequent drops, i have already used a WiFi analyser and have changed the bands still no joy just seems to be a very poor range on this router.

redchiz1
Champion 2

I shall ignore the mocking of others and suggest one more thing. Make sure that your router is not placed too close to other possible sources of interference e.g. cordless phone base unit; TV etc.  

RoyB
Legend

@Ryan_Avent wrote:

sooo only way to fix there poor range is to by a Router from another ISP (technically Sky is separate) and use that? might as well move providers then.

Well, BT had a run of bad routers a few years ago, and after having two that kept dropping, I had to rush out and buy a Netgear Nighthawk to fulfil my WFH commitments.

So even Homer nods….

I’m told that Now broadband is Sky broadband, and that even buying your own router, you still more than break even against other broadband suppliers in rather less than a year.

But as you have been lucky enough to get a timely and working installation from Now, which is by no means a given, your choice is pony up a small amount for the better router, or wait an indeterminate length of time for somebody dearer….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

You can try a few tweaks, notably those suggested in Step 4 of the help article here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Ryan_Avent
Advocate

Sadly already done step 4 still poor signal on both bands

RoyB
Legend

I wish you guys wouldn’t kept going on about splitting the bands.

I’ve bruised my ribs, and it hurts to laugh 😛😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.