cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very Slow Broadband Speed (again)

I have been having an on off issue with my internet lately. The setup is basic - I mainly just use Ethernet to a PC. Used to always get 40bmps, but last 3 days it's been back down to 14mbps. The router and Now support checks show the router is receiving the 40mbps. All speed checks are arguing this point and I am only getting the 14mbps. I called Now Support phone number, and the tech was puzzled how the router can say one thing yet the device I use says another. I've gone through all the supports tips and tricks, resetting router, changing wifi, rebooting etc etc - but no change.  I asked my Neighbours who have a range of different ISP's; Sky, BT and TalkTalk (all VDSL). They are all getting the same lower than advertised speeds. So, this is the bit I don't understand, why can't the router or NOW Support see their must be a potential line or cabinet issue in my area? Does anyone have any joy in getting NOW support, via the phone, to send out a technician or to call a BT Engineer? If you do, please share your tips on how I can get them to send an engineer?  Are there some key trigger words I need to say? 😉

Thanks all 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

See this link for the number to call broadband support.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

Just make sure you ask for an engineer visit from OpenReach.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What @gavs82008 said.

Now measure the speed at which they can push stuff down your line, all being well.

You are measuring the speed at which stuff is actually coming down your line, all not being well.

Openreach will measure the speed arriving at your BT Master socket, and pronounce on what this is, which will tell them if the issue is upstream or downstream of the socket.

If it is upstream, they will address it.

If it is downstream, it will be in your lap. To avoid this as far as possible, check the cable to your router, reboot your router, and measure the download speed with a WiFi device, such as a mobile phone with its 3/4/5G turned off, in the closest possible proximity to the router.

If this registers the same 14 Mbps as the laptop, and not 40Mbps, you can be pretty certain the issue is upstream.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, 

Just called NOW Support again, while on the phone  we followed the advise you stated above and still got the 14mbps so does sound like then the upstream could be the issue then. The good thing is this time they are escalating it to the Network Team, who said can take 2-5 days to respond. Soon as they let me know of the issue or how they fix it - I will post the results back here as I have seen a few posts on here that says they are getting this weird 14mpbs limit download cap.