cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johneboy
Advocate

Using a Fritzbox 7530 Router on NowTV?

Hello,

I've read through the posts on using a 3rd party router on NowTV broadband and its seems some routers are easy to setup, but the Fritzbox routers never get a mention. I've tried following the steps listed in the posts here and I cannot get it to connect.

The model I have is a 7530. Has anyone managed to get a Fritzbox router working on NowTV broadband? If so, how did you manage it?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@johneboy 

Absent anyone with practical experience of what you are looking for, you might find some useful info here:-

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/replacing-a-sky-adsl-router-with-a-3rd-party-router.36309/

I’ve heard of options that the provider may need to configure at their end to make things work, but I’ve never heard of a router with options to make things work that the user can’t configure, only the provider can. Still, you live and learn…..

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

AS im sure you are now aware, both Now and Sky use a slightly different log in/system to other ISPs known as MER/Option 61 ( or something like that) which means that not all modem/routers/access points ( commonly referred to as routers)  will work on Sky/Now services, and then to complicate it some more some manufacturers models will work, while others wont.

A quick search seems to show that Fritzbox routers fall into the do not work category :

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4378836-fritz-7490-on-sky-fiber.html?vc=1

So if you want to use the fritzbox (voip services?) then you can either investigate using the now router in modem only mode - if it supports this ( i dont think it does)

Use the fritz box attached to the now router as is

Use a third party router that works with Sky/Now and then use that in modem only mode with the fritzbox attached

Ditch the fritzbox and use a third party router that works on Sky/Now FTTC