cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Upload Speed Limited to 2 MB/s

Hi, 

I noticed that upload speeds are slow/being limited on my NOW TV broadband connection. SFTP currently maxes out at  2 MB/s, despite speedtest.net reporting a connection upload speed of 7 MB/s? 

To test if it was my computer I tried the same upload connected to an alternative network (Eduroam) and speed hit a consistent 24 MB/s. 

Any help in increasing the speed / removing the limit would be greatly appreciated!  

Plan: Super Fibre 

NOW TV network upload speed: 2 MB/s 

Speedtest result: ~7 MB/s (average of 3) 

Alternative network upload speed: 24 MB/s 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was about to say the same as @redchiz1 , if you are getting 24 MB/s on Eduroam (whatever that is) it equates to nearly 200 Mbs, you can't get that on VDSL. You would need FTTP, which Now doesn't offer.

Edit: Your Speedtest result https://ibb.co/SxDYYLZ matches exactly what you are getting using SFTP.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So for both networks, I only connected via WiFi from a macbook. 

So last week at work (Edu-roam) I ran speedtest.net and got an average of 22Mbps upload from three runs, however I have re-run the test at work today and had an average of 438Mbps!! Maybe I ran the tests during some maintenance, or maybe connected to a further away AP (there has been some limited cabling work done in the building).

I will also be more careful reading units in future as the Mbps vs. MB/s  certainly caused me some confusion. 

Thanks for your help guys!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

For some reason. I never looked at wiki, I just went to their website and was none the wiser. When you realise it's edu-roam it makes sense.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

WiFi in both instances yes - I actually don't own an ethernet adapter for the computer in question! 

However, I still don't understand why I would observe a 2MB/s on the NOW TV network and 24MB/s on Eduroam - unless its router hardware related? 

Yes it's hardware related, the hardware in question being the long bit of cable between the Now router and the Openreach cabinet.