cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McFooger
Advocate

Upgrading speeds after just starting contract

I've just moved and the speeds in the area aren't great, but after looking on BT's site for Fibre it's now saying I can get speeds up to 80mb/s. I was wondering if I could find a way to upgrade on the site to a better speed or am I locked in at 10mb/s for 12 months?

3 REPLIES 3
redchiz1
Champion 2

You can get "up to" 80 on any VDSL service, what you actually get depends largely on the distance from the fibre cabinet to your home and the condition of the line. This will not change with a different supplier. How does your current speed compare to the minimum guaranteed at the time you ordered? 

RoyB
Legend

@McFooger 

Which Now Broadband plan are you on?

If it is Brilliant Broadband, then either:-

Now are holding you down to 11 Mbps, and you could possibly upgrade to Super Fibre and get 63 Mbps for another £3 a month;

or the speed you have is the best you can get in your property, and there is no point being on a faster plan.

Give the Now Broadband helpline a ring after 8am tomorrow, and ask them which it is. I’m sure they will be happy to upgrade you for the £3/mo, if upgrading is at all possible.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-contact-now

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

I assume you joined on Brilliant Broadband, which has an average download speed of 11 Mbps. (max about 18Mbs) It is ADSL, and you should probably have joined on SUPER FIBRE, which is VDSL with an average speed of 63Mb. (max 80Mbs)

Even worse the max upload is 2Mbs on ADSL (max 20MBS on VDSL)

As @redchiz1 says the speed you get is dependent on the distance from your local cabinet. (exchange for ADSL) You can check what Openreach expect your line to be capable of here: BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

I don't think it is possible to upgrade on-line, but if you call Now, I'm sure they could upgrade you, especially if you are still within the cooling off period.

No changes will be required at your end, Openreach will do the necessary work in the exchange/cabinet.