cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chagrined
Mentor

Upgraded broadband down upon activation

Just posting to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I signed up to Brilliant Broadband in September since that was all I could apparently get, and it worked just fine. Recently I checked and was told I could get Super Fibre, so naturally I said great and upgraded with an activation date of 2/12. However on that day, assumedly when they tried to activate, my broadband went down. An Openreach engineer apparently visited the cabinet on 5/12 but was 'unable to complete the work' according to the tracker. Now don't seem to have a clue what the reason is and since then there's been a rejected escalation to the networks team (due to lack of info about my hub setup which is likely irrelevant anyway since it was working for Brilliant Broadband) so I'm now waiting a further 72 hours for a meaningful update (I'm not optimistic). The nightmare scenario I'm anticipating is that they'll conclude I can't in fact get Super Fibre, and make me wait 2 weeks to activate Brilliant Broadband again. I'm considering leaving since the communication/service has been so poor, and I could get faster speeds than Brilliant Broadband through a 4G router, but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, particularly if it had a happy ending...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

I'm no expert, but I would think that means that VDSL (FTTC) availability is on a waiting list, which may well be that the cabinet is full, and they are waiting for a port to become available, or extra capacity to be installed. 

FTTP on demand means they would be prepared to run a fibre especially for you, but don't bother to ask the price, it will be eye-watering. 

FTTP on Demand (openreach.co.uk)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Jayach
Elite 3

I'm no expert, but I would think that means that VDSL (FTTC) availability is on a waiting list, which may well be that the cabinet is full, and they are waiting for a port to become available, or extra capacity to be installed. 

FTTP on demand means they would be prepared to run a fibre especially for you, but don't bother to ask the price, it will be eye-watering. 

FTTP on Demand (openreach.co.uk)

chagrined
Mentor

Thanks for your help, rather than wait an indeterminate time for FTTC I think I'll give 4G routers a try and wait for FTTP.

chilli2
Elite

As it is your main probnlem is with Now broadband and if you want to switch to a 4G/5G solution then you will need to look into getting away from Now .

If your landline is important to you, even if its just for incoming calls from far away relatives etc  then you should switch this to a VOIP provider - beware though that a migration of the landline number to a voip provider will automatically cancel your current service.

As said, the main issue here is with Now, they have effectively sold you a product they can not provide, and as a fist step you ned to get in touch with them to see if they will be able to provide it, they should know why the openreach engineer couldn't complete the install and now should be able to offer a solution, if this solution is a reconnection of the ADSL service then do not accept being taken into a contract longer than the standard 1 month rolling cancel anytime deal, and do not accept it at any higher price.

Now should not have sold you something they can not provide and due to their incompetence they have effectively cut you off.

As for FTTP - this document here may give a rough idea of when your exchange/exchange area  will switch https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiM9YT86e77A...

As for the BT address checker technically this should be branded as Openreach, the reason for using the address over line ( number) is that there are two flavours of ADSL/FTTC/voice services on the openreach network , one is BT wholesale where BT sell a product wholesale at wholesale costs to other internet providers, and the other flavour is LLU ( local loop unbundling) where a provider has their own equipment at the exchange and once off the local loop  the internet traffic moves on their own network .

for example  BT retail buy internet services from BT wholesale who use openreach to provide the wires and internal stuff at the exchange

Sky/Now use openreach to provide the wires/exchange  building but have their own equipment usually at an exchange and from their the internet

The number checker only works with BT wholesale service providers, the address checker with all other providers.

A complicated mess of regulation, de regulation privatisation and so on

As for 4G routers/deals - take a look round , be aware that not all areas have the same level of service and things can slow down at peak times , or if there is a major event in your area ( football, music festival, etc)  and/or during peak demands.

Beware of any data caps as well, as streaming TV services from Iplayer to youtube, to Netflix, to Now and anything else can consume large amounts of data

chagrined
Mentor

Thanks a lot for this info, it's very helpful. I don't need a landline fortunately. My main problem was with NOW Broadband yes, and after a week of contacting them, they were unable to provide any info on why the engineer could not complete the install. After dealing with them repeatedly escalating to the same team and not offering any time frame or potential resolution, I decided to cancel. Even if they were able to put me back on ADSL quickly, I didn't want to continue paying for that quality of service. I've settled on a 4G Plus Hub from Three, since my mobile provider uses their infrastructure and the speeds have been pretty good (it's what I've been using while the broadband has been down!). It's unlimited data (no hidden limits I can see) and has a 30 day money-back guarantee so I'll try it out and see how it compares.