cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chagrined
Mentor

Upgraded broadband down upon activation

Just posting to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I signed up to Brilliant Broadband in September since that was all I could apparently get, and it worked just fine. Recently I checked and was told I could get Super Fibre, so naturally I said great and upgraded with an activation date of 2/12. However on that day, assumedly when they tried to activate, my broadband went down. An Openreach engineer apparently visited the cabinet on 5/12 but was 'unable to complete the work' according to the tracker. Now don't seem to have a clue what the reason is and since then there's been a rejected escalation to the networks team (due to lack of info about my hub setup which is likely irrelevant anyway since it was working for Brilliant Broadband) so I'm now waiting a further 72 hours for a meaningful update (I'm not optimistic). The nightmare scenario I'm anticipating is that they'll conclude I can't in fact get Super Fibre, and make me wait 2 weeks to activate Brilliant Broadband again. I'm considering leaving since the communication/service has been so poor, and I could get faster speeds than Brilliant Broadband through a 4G router, but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, particularly if it had a happy ending...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

I'm no expert, but I would think that means that VDSL (FTTC) availability is on a waiting list, which may well be that the cabinet is full, and they are waiting for a port to become available, or extra capacity to be installed. 

FTTP on demand means they would be prepared to run a fibre especially for you, but don't bother to ask the price, it will be eye-watering. 

FTTP on Demand (openreach.co.uk)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Jayach
Elite 3

There must be very few places where only ADSL is available. What do other ISPs offer. Check via a comparison site, such as MSE.

Compare Best Broadband Deals for December 2022 - MSE (moneysavingexpert.com)

With Brilliant Broadband (ADSL) the copper cable comes all the way from the exchange, with the others (VDSL) it is only copper from your local cabinet, and fibre to the cabinet from the exchange.

What can sometimes happen is that when the engineer tries to move you to the fibre cabinet, there are no free working ports. In that instance I would expect them to leave you on ADSL.

Do you know when FTTP (full fibre) is due in your area?

chagrined
Mentor

Sorry I responded to the post instead of your reply, see below.

chagrined
Mentor

Hi Jayach, thanks for your reply. Other ISPs do offer around 60/70 Mbps, although what I've noticed in the last 6 months is that it's been fluctuating. For example, looking today Sky offer 60 but I checked last week when the problems started and only the basic tier was available. As far as FTTP is concerned, I've checked with FullFibre and BeFibre. FullFibre is apparently coming within 6-12 months, BeFibre is slated for my area but there's no estimate I can find. I'm planning to get full fibre when it's available but looking for faster speeds in the interim since these estimates are obviously prone to being pushed back, and 15 Mbps is a bit restrictive.

Jayach
Elite 3

chagrined
Mentor

Openreach is sometime by December 2026.

chilli2
Elite

What do you get when you put your details in here : https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

chagrined
Mentor

Thanks for your reply. It comes up with ."There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line".

Jayach
Elite 3

That's strange as I would only possibly expect that with the number checker:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

but @chilli2 used the address checker:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

chagrined
Mentor

Huh my bad, when I clicked on that link I ended up on the number checker, but yes I can see @chilli2 provided the address checker. Anyhow, from the address checker, the VSDL products are showing for WBC FTTC Availability Date and WBC SOGEA Availability Date as Waiting List. FTTP on Demand is also showing as available.