cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unreliable broadband speeds.

Can anybody explain this please. I did a broadband speedtest and got a download speed of about 30 Mbps. (not too bad, but half of what I actually signed up for). I then watched a few YouTube videos, and after an hour or so noticed there was some buffering occuring. Did another speedtest and the download speed had dropped to about 1.5 Mbps. Why the massive drop in such a short time? (no other devices had been switched on or off between the tests). I rebooted the Hub, did another speedtest, and got a reading of about 30 Mbps again. Why the big fluctuation in speeds? This is a regular occurrence, speeds often dropping down to single figures. Rebooting the Hub doesn't always increase the speed, but sometimes does.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Is this on Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

How long have you been a customer with NOW for broadband?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello gavs82002,

This is on Wi-Fi.

I have been with NOW for about 6 months.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Somehow I missed your reply on an earlier post you made. See here: Reply to Message - NOW Community (nowtv.com)

Before making any suggestions it will be useful to know what Openreach think your line capable of, so as the phone number query didn't work. try using the address check instead. BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Then we need to know what the sync speed is. Sync speed is the actual speed the router is connecting to your local cabinet at.

If you log in to the router you should be able to get those figures along with the SNRs (Signal-to-noise ratio). They will help tell us if it may be a line problem.

Speedtest results, if conducted over WiFi are not reliable indicators, so really they need to be done wired to the router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi JohnH1,

Everything is on Wi-Fi at the moment.

So far I have been uunable to turn off the Wi-Fi setting on my Hub, and go to a wired connection.

Whenever I log in to the Hub to make any changes to the settings, as soon as I click on the Accept button I lose my internet connection altogether. Have to press the reset button on the Hub to get the connection back. Happens everytime I log in to make any changes, even when trying to set a new password.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried to split your account Wi-Fi bands?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Are you trying to change WiFi settings from a WiFi device?

Use a wired one, or you are metaphorically sawing off the branch you are sitting on.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello RoyB,

Thanks for the email. It doesn't seem to make any difference to my download speeds or Hub problems if I am on a wired connection or on Wi-Fi. I get similar download speeds on both options. I thought having a cable connection would increase my speeds, but it doesn't seem to.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If anybody uses the Netflix App on their playback devices.

I find that the Netflix App under "Get Help" from home screen and then clicking on "Check your Network" gives me reliable test results on both Ethernet or WiFi every time i have tried it.

Unfortunately the Netflix Network test can only measure your Download Connection Speed available.

Where i find various speed test websites or speed test Apps to be all over the place when i take readings.

Just thought i would mentioned it, if anybody wants to give the Netflix method of measuring your Network down speed a go.