cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nolookbobbyf
Advocate

Unable to load some websites

Hi,

weird issue happening with Now Broadband. Some websites, refuse to load at all. As an example, the Daily Waffle quiz, never loads on Now broadband, however, when disconnected from the router, loads immediately through mobile data. 

Its a weird situation and one i'd like to try and find the answer to. Broadband buddy has been disabled as a possible fix, but didnt work. I do have a 3rd party modem and router i'd love to try and use, but I once read a post about it going against the Now Broadband T&Cs to use your own hardware. Could i use the supplied router in modem mode, and then use my Linksys router in it's place, for wifi?

appreciate any support

5 REPLIES 5
Jayach
Elite 3

Absolutely no problem using your own modem/router, the T&C's have changed. However Now will give no support to you in using it, so unless it has Sky_MER as a connection method, it may be difficult to set up. Keep the Now router to put back on if you need to repost a line fault.

As for why some websites won't load, as long as you have disabled (or set to 18) the broadband buddy, I have no idea.

nolookbobbyf
Advocate

Thanks for the reply.

I should be able to get it to work myself, with modem and router of my own. Apologies I am unware of what Sky_MER is though. Im coming from a FTTP connection with my modem not needed for many years, so my memory is a little sketchy 🙂

Thanks again

Jayach
Elite 3

Most broadband suppliers use a method called PPPoE to connect to their servers, it involves them giving you a username and password (or having one built into the supplied router)

Sky, and Now, use a different one. It's called MER (MAC encapsulated routing), and most new routers from TP-Link and ASUS (or routers with the latest firmware update) include it as a option. Not sure about other makes.

The setting is shown as Sky(MER)_VDSL.

If you google "use different router on Sky broadband" you should find plenty of help.

nolookbobbyf
Advocate

brilliant thank you. out of interest, where is the info about not breaking T&Cs for using 3rd party router?

Jayach
Elite 3

Originally 3.8 of the T&C's said:

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

Now it says:

3.8 If you wish to use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access the NOW Broadband and Calls services it is your responsibility to ensure it is compatible with the NOW Broadband Network and we cannot guarantee that NOW Broadband and Calls services will work with this equipment.

Latest (that I can find) T&C's

now-broadband-contract-dec-21.pdf (nowtv.com)