cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable to connect TP-Link Archer 1200 Router to NOWTV internet

Hello,

I had a third party router when I was with my previous provider and it worked no problem. Since swapping to NOWTV the router hasn't worked and the NOWTV router is struggling to reach all corners of my house/has a sketchy signal.

I'm keen to get my other router working, but everytime I try it doesn't connect to the internet.

I've tried setting it up manually, based on the assumption that it's sky that provides the internet, it's dynamic IP, and with a VPI of 0 and a VCI of 38. But that's entirely based on what I've found on the forums and I've had no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a TP Link Archer 1200 if that helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite

Now and Sky are fussy with routers, you said it worked with your previous supplier and that was....?

the name of your previous ISP/supplier could be important to understanding why it worked previously but not now - ie was it virgin?

My previous supplier was plusnet.

On plusnet i used a TP link router, model Archer Vr2800 and this works without a problem with Now.

A few things that could be happening:

Is the T~P link router a modem/router/access point?

A google search shows that if you have the model correct C1200, it appears to lack a DSL modem that is required if using it as a single box solution and as such it could be just for cable ( ie virgin) or FTTP ( aka full fibre) connections and not for Now (Fibre to the Cabinet/FTTC /VDSL)

Assuming it has a DSL modem then you may need to update the firmware.

And as far as i know the TP link VR series works with Sky and Now ( if the firmware is up to date) not sure about the other models

There is some advice on the tp link forums here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802

of which i used to set my tp link up to work in particular this image ( as sky/now use a different log in system any password/username should work - i used/use the one in the image below)

441bab10fb3341139f31b059fa8e193e

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
chilli2
Elite

Now and Sky are fussy with routers, you said it worked with your previous supplier and that was....?

the name of your previous ISP/supplier could be important to understanding why it worked previously but not now - ie was it virgin?

My previous supplier was plusnet.

On plusnet i used a TP link router, model Archer Vr2800 and this works without a problem with Now.

A few things that could be happening:

Is the T~P link router a modem/router/access point?

A google search shows that if you have the model correct C1200, it appears to lack a DSL modem that is required if using it as a single box solution and as such it could be just for cable ( ie virgin) or FTTP ( aka full fibre) connections and not for Now (Fibre to the Cabinet/FTTC /VDSL)

Assuming it has a DSL modem then you may need to update the firmware.

And as far as i know the TP link VR series works with Sky and Now ( if the firmware is up to date) not sure about the other models

There is some advice on the tp link forums here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264802

of which i used to set my tp link up to work in particular this image ( as sky/now use a different log in system any password/username should work - i used/use the one in the image below)

441bab10fb3341139f31b059fa8e193e

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This sorted me out. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Fairly ridiculous you have to do this but simple enough!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply! The previous supplier was TalkTalk.

It might be that it's not a DSL modem. If that's the case. Would it be possible for me to connect it to the existing NOW modem to boost that one's signal at all? I'll try updating the firmware as well just in case.

Cheers!

Jayach
Elite 3

Were you on FTTC with TalkTalk? If so your router either has a built in modem or you were using an external modem.

As @chilli2 says the router you say you have doesn't appear to have a modem, so you either have a different router, or you were on FTTP.

@Anonymous User wrote:

It might be that it's not a DSL modem. If that's the case. Would it be possible for me to connect it to the existing NOW modem to boost that one's signal at all?

Yes, just set up the router up in AP (Access Point) mode.