cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

UHD content on Now TV

Hi,

I see that sky tv how now launched a streaming box that means you don’t need to sign up to Glass. This allows a boost which gives UHD and Dolby Atmos but I see Now are still not offering this as a boost. When will this become an option as Now has already become an out of date option for steaming when UHD content is available on all streaming platforms (with exception of paramount plus). 

surely this is now just attempting to force people to pay more money as the technology and server capacity is not an issue. I’d rather just cancel Now than join another version of the same product so please sort this out asap. 

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It was mentioned roughly this time last year as a possibility.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/now-tv/156945-sky-s-now-plans-include-4k-hdr-as-part-of-boost-add-on.amphtml

Things here in NOW take what sometimes feel like a lifetime to get applied.

This definitely would be a welcome addition to NOW. Although personally I’d rather they give us profiles.

That being said there should be nothing stopping them from giving us both!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

Personally, I can't see Now being around much longer. No FTTP broadband, rubbish router, and poor streaming options.

O.K. it is cheaper than Sky, but the offerings are substantially less.

Hope I'm wrong, we need alternatives to the big players.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jayach 

It’s clear that Sky are the app aggregator. As well as striking deals to make certain packages more appealing. 

As for NOW, the segregation of its memberships is crazy. Doesn’t help they are ridiculously overpriced, granted cancellation offers have kept a me going. However it’s a pain in the rear to constantly do. 

One thing is clear, NOW fundamentally needs to change and have an overall to be more competitive. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@gavs82008 wrote:

One thing is clear, NOW fundamentally needs to change and have an overall to be more competitive. 

The thing is Now dance to Sky's tune. They really don't seem to have a direction of their own.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Now have only Sky content. Sky were always very keen that Now wouldn’t cannibalise Sky Q subscribers, and now with Sky Glass and Sky Streaming, they have the delicate job of keeping three layers of service going without them flowing into one another.

And no doubt Now Broadband is structured so as not the cannibalise Sky Broadband either.

As I’ve said elsewhere, Now thinks its rivals are Netflix, Prime, Disney and so on, while Sky thinks Now’s rivals are Q, Glass and Streaming.

It will be interesting to see if Sky make the tweaks needed to bring Now pricing and Streaming pricing more into line; if so, Streaming could eat Now’s lunch.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

The thing is, Netflix, Prime etc are not competitors of Now.

Now is the only streaming service that splits out entertainment as one package, and films as another .

If Now want to be a true competitor to these then they need to roll entertainment, cinema and kids, as well as any other dregs ( hayu) into one ,  ditch the adds at the £9.99 price point and add in 1080p HD

Even Prime manage to throw sports into the mix as well

The broadband service is basic, but it works even  more so if you ditch the appalling Now router with its atrocious wifi and use your own .

BT has Plusnet as its budget brand ( although plusnets pricing isnt exactly budget anymore) Sky has Now as its budget brand

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There definitely needs to be a 4K / Ultra HD offering on Now. Been waiting far too long. I have experienced 4K on BT Sports monthly pass, such an enjoyable experience. Its such a shame we cant experience this on NOW. Big premier league games but only on HD is so poor & out of date.

I have checked the reviews for Sky Stream, its way too expensive.

NOW is still better in terms of flexibility. Main attraction using it on multiple devices whenever you want. Whereas stream is 1 device & have to fork out extra for sky go app etc.

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

Well, everything is competing for our limited budgets, so you could say that Domino’s is a competitor for Now. But in practice, we compartmentalise our budgets (don’t we?) so when we are looking to economise, and Now is in the frame, we are more likely to think “which streaming service shall I drop?” than “shall we give up our Saturday night pizza?’

So in that sense, Now’s immediate competitors are other streaming services; Netflix, Prime, Disney, Paramount, Apple TV, and so on.

You can make various distinctions; streaming services that have buy and rent options, which Now doesn’t, subscriptions that are tied to a shopping service, which Now isn’t, and so on.

But I don’t think the Cinema/Entertainment/Sports split matters a jot here, except that if we had to have all three combined, I’d walk, as sport doesn’t interest me. And Cinema is pretty limited; there are upwards of 25,000 films out there and rising, and Now only have about a thousand. That’s like Spotify only carrying the top ten and a few golden oldies.

Or you can muddy the waters, as I do, by saying that none of these are direct competitors except when they offer the same content, and you are considering where it might be cheapest. (An area where Now usually wins hands down, if you have ever seen something that Now is carrying, on a competitor’s site at about £2 an episode).

As for Now Broadband? Every line still entering and leaving your house over copper? Really? Even PlusNet no longer hold you down to that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.