cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turning wifi off when not at home

As the title says really.

My son is at college and I want to turn the WiFi off when he has to leave the house. Can I remotely access the WiFi while I'm at work to turn it off? 

TIA

16 REPLIES 16
chilli2
Elite

Do not underestimate the ability of a teenager to figure out a workaround.

What you need is Mac address filtering based on the time. That will effectively block internet access to the X box on a schedule either wired, wireless or through a separate wireless access point.

You will need to look at the settings in the now router for this if it supports it (my router has this and other functions that can be used to control access)

redchiz1
Champion 2

I don't, I'm not the one that's doing it!

And you reckon said teenage powers will be deflected by your suggestion?  😉

chilli2
Elite

Odds on that the teenager will figure out how to turn on the wifi, or even get hold of a device ( ie wifi access point) that will over ride the wifi on/off settings, the wifi may be off but the ethernet will be active.

Turing the router off will/may cause issues with DLM and cause your speeds to drop

Plus its another thing to try and remember.

If you enable mac address timing then you can restrict certain items to set times, so the X box will not be able to connect between X and Y but another device will still be able to connect.

You will also need to change the router config password

redchiz1
Champion 2

Turning off the wifi on the router will cause none of the problems you mention. 

chilli2
Elite

Turing the wifi off on its own shouldnt cause any issues, however turning off the entire router will/could cause issues.

As for the Wifi, try looking for a setting called Wifi Schedule where you can set the times the wifi is on/off  - not all routers may have this though

redchiz1
Champion 2

@chilli2 Who are you talking to?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If he has physical access to the router he can just factory reset the device to enable access