cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MYnow
Advocate

This Hub does not connect to my computer via cable (ethernet)

Two laptops connected via wifi, and two desktop computers must be connected via cable - this is required.

The WiFi connection works fine, no problems.
The first router did not connect via ethernet cable at all.
The second (i received the second one) connected to the computers immediately - automatically but!
After 30 minutes the router disconnected, this connection never came back.
The old router worked without any problems for many years and still works fine.
Does anyone have any advice? Why don't the new routers from NOW connect via ethernet cable?
Cheers.

18 REPLIES 18
Jayach
Elite 3

@MYnow 

I am suspecting that the cables you are using are not cat5e (or above), and the old router has only 100Mbs ports. The cables should have their category printed on them.

The ports on the Now router are 1000Mbs, but can be forced lower in the firmware, if required. (as stated by @schnapps earlier)

MYnow
Advocate

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of cable I have.
They're grey, I've had them for many years, and they're probably from the IT department.
No markings on them. The cables are a few years old as well as the router.
The new router No1 did not recognize the connection at all, router No2 connected everything immediately automatically, after half an hour it disconnected and never came back.
WiFi still works fine in both.
I'm happy that I didn't throw away the router from my previous provider, it still works great.

Jayach
Elite 3

As the second router worked for a while, it's probably not the cables, but it's a shame we can't be sure of their specs.

I would seem unlikely to get 2 Now routers with faulty Ethernet ports, but anything is possible I suppose.

What router (model no?) are you currently using with Now and from what ISP?

MYnow
Advocate

The photos show what the cable (gray and flat) and the model of the router look like.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NvGsyZq/IMG-20230518-202802085-HDR.jpg 

https://i.postimg.cc/gJkvxtfS/IMG-20230518-203323159-HDR.jpg 

Jayach
Elite 3

Sorry, I was not asking about the now router, I was was enquiring as to what router you are using that does work, and what ISP supplied it?

Taras
Advocate

You probably need new cat 5e cables.

Tom9
Observer

how long is your LAN cable? If it is too long, this could be the issue, as the Hub 2 routers are very weak.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Tom9 wrote:

how long is your LAN cable? If it is too long, this could be the issue, as the Hub 2 routers are very weak.

Wi-Fi wise, yes, but Ethernet? I doubt it.

RoyB
Legend

@Tom9 

I don’t like your cables.

You don’t know what they are, they don’t look like Cat5e or better, and they may even be crossover cables instead of straight-thrus.

They probably aren’t (or the one that worked for a bit probably isn’t, at least); but ‘working for a bit’ is indicative of a lower Cat spec that can just about trickle some data through until an error counter blows.

Go buy a decent Cat6 or better straight-thru Ethernet cable, and try that. If it works, buy another,

(Cat 6 or better as you only have to step on a 5e, or make too tight a bend in it, and you don’t have the 5e spec any more. Not that you can lightly do those things to a Cat6, but at least you have more margin).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.