cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greencode1
Advocate

Telephone number porting

I'm far from happy about my new connection to NOW TV. You have lost my original telephone number and given me a new one with absolutely no notice that this would happen! The old number had been in existance for years and so is on my business cards, friends contacts etc etc etc and in one swoop you have lost it.

The person I spoke to on CHAT today was far from helpful and pretty much said I had to reorder the package and hope they could get the old number back but they said it was unlikely.

Not a great start with NOW, is it! Surely you can get the number back or is it quite simply, that you cannot be bothered to attempt to do so????!!!

0 Thanks
11 Replies
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Telephone number porting

@greencode1 Welcome to the community. If you've only spoken to the live chat I'd suggest giving them a call instead, might be easier to talk to them. You can find the telephone number for the Broadband Team by going to your My Account > My Package page

https://account.nowtv.com/my-package

and click the Moving Home section.

However if you've already been allocated a new number I'd guess your old number is back in the pool now, so not sure how good you're chances are. 

0 Thanks
greencode1
Advocate

Absolutely hopeless. Just called them and they said that numbers cannot be ported over?! They said it would have been in the email that I received from them - IT WASN'T.

Great start to NOW Broadband and Telephone!!!

I shall be leaving ASAP if this is the kind of customer service I can look forward to!

0 Thanks
greencode1
Advocate

I still fail to see how they cannot port the number over. Surely this can't be happening to everybody?! Surely most people want to keep their current telephone number when moving to NOW?

0 Thanks
GaryL
Expert 2

Did you cancel with your previous provider before you signed up with now tv?

0 Thanks
greencode1
Advocate

The telephone line was disconnected by the previous owners.

0 Thanks
vixh55
Mentor

This has just happened to me even though I requested to keep my old number, I did not even receive any new number, it only came to light when I made a phone call to someone with caller id whom informed me I had a different number, this was on the second day of going live.  Keep all online transcripts, take your complaint to Ofcom and the relevant ombudsman, these companies need to be held accountable for such poor service.  The hassle of changing numbers is so crazy and it's also things like having to buy new dogs tags, I have a terminally ill mother-in-law all the doctors, carers etc have our old number it absolutley disgusting that this has happened.  Don't listen to what employers of this company tell you, they informed me that a number can only be changed a number of times, absolute rubbish.  I'm taking my complaint all the way, the more people that do, will make these companies start providing a proper decent service that you sign up for.

0 Thanks
Jerrytaff
Advocate

I had the opposite experience when I switched last month. I asked for my old number to be ported. While waiting for switch-over date, NowTV informed me that there was a problem with the order because my number could not be ported  so it would be changed to ...... the old number. 

@greencode1 I'm trying to understand the sequence of events. You stated that the previous occupants had disconnected the line.  Does that mean that you switched to Now at the same time that you moved house? If so how was that arranged? It is probably safest to do it sequentially, e.g. change provider, porting the number within the old property, and then moving it to the new. Or stick with the old provider during the move and change provider later. If you disconnect one property with one provider, and then  connect another with a different provider and expect your number to be ported..... Well that is just asking for things to go wrong, and the chances are that your number got put back into the pool. If so time is of the essence - once its be reallocated you won't get it back. Have you tried calling your old number to see if it's back in use?

0 Thanks
greencode1
Advocate

Hi. The previous occupants had the line disconnected. I then had it reconnected about a week later to go with NOW Broadband. I've tried calling the number and it's a number not recognised message. TBH, it's more that I wasn't told that this would happen that annoys me. 

I was thinking of changing my parents over to NOW Broadband but they have had the same telephone number for over 40 years and so I cannot take the risk that NOW will mess this one up too.

0 Thanks
vixh55
Mentor

Hi 

I had the same problem, just going through their complaints process and will be taking it up with CISAS, I know I requested to keep the number, they are saying that I did not, not one person has mentioned that a SMS was sent to me containing a new number, I have received no text message at all from NowTV, why would I lie?  If I did I would have asked why was I receiving a new number.  What reasons did they give you greencode1?

It seems strange that I was told by NowTV employee that he could see that no email with the number was sent out, yet at this time why did he not advise that an SMS was sent out?  

How can a consumer prove that I requested and added my number to be ported, and how can I prove that no SMS was ever received, I feel this is where a consumer is let down by the system.  I have even been told that on two occassions I the visitor left the online chat, yet it was their system cutting me off.

I also find it hard to believe, that a company owned by Sky can not retrive a number yet even the smaller companies can, is it because they can not be bothered or will it cost them? 

0 Thanks