cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Telephone number porting

I'm far from happy about my new connection to NOW TV. You have lost my original telephone number and given me a new one with absolutely no notice that this would happen! The old number had been in existance for years and so is on my business cards, friends contacts etc etc etc and in one swoop you have lost it.

The person I spoke to on CHAT today was far from helpful and pretty much said I had to reorder the package and hope they could get the old number back but they said it was unlikely.

Not a great start with NOW, is it! Surely you can get the number back or is it quite simply, that you cannot be bothered to attempt to do so????!!!

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has just happened to me even though I requested to keep my old number, I did not even receive any new number, it only came to light when I made a phone call to someone with caller id whom informed me I had a different number, this was on the second day of going live.  Keep all online transcripts, take your complaint to Ofcom and the relevant ombudsman, these companies need to be held accountable for such poor service.  The hassle of changing numbers is so crazy and it's also things like having to buy new dogs tags, I have a terminally ill mother-in-law all the doctors, carers etc have our old number it absolutley disgusting that this has happened.  Don't listen to what employers of this company tell you, they informed me that a number can only be changed a number of times, absolute rubbish.  I'm taking my complaint all the way, the more people that do, will make these companies start providing a proper decent service that you sign up for.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the opposite experience when I switched last month. I asked for my old number to be ported. While waiting for switch-over date, NowTV informed me that there was a problem with the order because my number could not be ported  so it would be changed to ...... the old number. 

@Anonymous User I'm trying to understand the sequence of events. You stated that the previous occupants had disconnected the line.  Does that mean that you switched to Now at the same time that you moved house? If so how was that arranged? It is probably safest to do it sequentially, e.g. change provider, porting the number within the old property, and then moving it to the new. Or stick with the old provider during the move and change provider later. If you disconnect one property with one provider, and then  connect another with a different provider and expect your number to be ported..... Well that is just asking for things to go wrong, and the chances are that your number got put back into the pool. If so time is of the essence - once its be reallocated you won't get it back. Have you tried calling your old number to see if it's back in use?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. The previous occupants had the line disconnected. I then had it reconnected about a week later to go with NOW Broadband. I've tried calling the number and it's a number not recognised message. TBH, it's more that I wasn't told that this would happen that annoys me. 

I was thinking of changing my parents over to NOW Broadband but they have had the same telephone number for over 40 years and so I cannot take the risk that NOW will mess this one up too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 

I had the same problem, just going through their complaints process and will be taking it up with CISAS, I know I requested to keep the number, they are saying that I did not, not one person has mentioned that a SMS was sent to me containing a new number, I have received no text message at all from NowTV, why would I lie?  If I did I would have asked why was I receiving a new number.  What reasons did they give you greencode1?

It seems strange that I was told by NowTV employee that he could see that no email with the number was sent out, yet at this time why did he not advise that an SMS was sent out?  

How can a consumer prove that I requested and added my number to be ported, and how can I prove that no SMS was ever received, I feel this is where a consumer is let down by the system.  I have even been told that on two occassions I the visitor left the online chat, yet it was their system cutting me off.

I also find it hard to believe, that a company owned by Sky can not retrive a number yet even the smaller companies can, is it because they can not be bothered or will it cost them? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same with us.  We will also be taking it all the way

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any way you can get your old number back , i changed and didn't even know they had changed the number , why don't they make you aware of your new number in any communication ? I didn't even know it, really poor .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

After looking on the internet this is quite a problem and I really believe that NowTV don’t want you to keep your old number because it’s easier for them to give you an old one , I have been in touch with them today and they insisted that I forgot to tick the box , but did admit they never sent me my new number ?? Why would you not send the new number to a customer it’s all very suspicious, my advice is stay clear of this company spent all day informing banks contacts of my new number after losing my previous number which I had with several suppliers who all managed to keep my number when I moved , it’s not very good at all from NowTV .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am moving house and am transferring my Now broadband to my new home.   Even though I am not changing my service provider Now still say they cannot port my old number to my new home even though it is only a quarter of a mile away.   Sky, who Now is part of will port numbers.  Is it that they can't be bothered?   They can do it if they want to.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just had the same thing happen to me.  I specifically said that I needed to keep my old number when switching from Virgin.  No notification, found out when people said they could not get through to me.  Checked my outgoing number and found it had been changed.  Spoke to the support team on the phone to be told it was too late and the number has been lost!  What can I do in this situation?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still happening in June 2020. Very unhelpful 'support' so far. Number porting is not rocket science. Awaiting callback.